Comments on pitching form, please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
Comments on pitching form, please. **Updated video attached**

Day 1
YouTube - 100_2875.mov

Made a few adjustments based on feedback mainly on the footwork.

Dav 2 Backview
YouTube - 100_2879.mov

Day 2 Sideview
YouTube - 100_2877.mov

Concerning the arm being too slow coming around in relation to the stride, should I work to get her to start the arm spin slightly before she starts the stride to give the arm time to get in the right position?

Thanks!!

TG

From moderator: TG posted this video regarding crowhopping. It might be helpful for the group to take a look and provide comments. We're looking for comments about her form.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I really like your DD. She looks like an athlete.

Usually, we see a DD with bad body position, but relatively good arm position. Your DD is opposite.

I've attached 3 pictures that are side-by-sides of your DD and Cat Osterman. (This would be brutal for anyone's DD.)

With the arm at 12, Osterman has the ball facing 3rd (Darn lefties...I mean 1st) base. With your DD, the ball is facing home. Your DD's arm is out of position. It is backwards from where it should be. Your DD has also started closing her upper body--compare the lettering on the front of Osterman's jersey with the lettering on your DD's jersey.

With the arm at 3, you can see what has happened to your DD's motion as she attempts to get her arm aligned. She has forearm at a 90 degree angle with her upper arm.

At release, the whole pitching motion has blown up. Your DD is *NOT* supposed to close the hips as much as she does. Osterman is still mostly open at release, while your DD is completely closed.

A woman's hips are wider than her shoulders. If a pitcher closes her hips completely like your DD is doing, her arm has to swing around the hips. So, the arm is not going in a straight line toward the target. I expect your DD to have problems with horizontal control.

The basic principle of pitching is momentum transfer, not "a series of linked levers". That is, the body works more like a spring and less like a car engine. The idea is to get all of the momentum of a pitcher directed in a nice line to the plate, and then to stop the body and have the momentum transferred to the ball.

The hips really don't contribute much to pitching speed. Technically, the hips are supposed to close to 20 degrees or so at release. Your DD closes to 90 degrees, so she is really losing speed.

Attachments

• side-by-side-release.jpg
    side-by-side-release.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 68
  • side-by-side-3.jpg
    side-by-side-3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 61
  • side-by-side12.jpg
    side-by-side12.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
please clarify this for me...

at .37 on tape, she is way off the rubber, and the ball is still in her hand...Is this legal?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes, it is legal to have the ball in her hand after she has left the mound. She does have a bit of a crow hop, so she might be called for either (a) replanting her foot or (b) not keeping her left foot in contact with the ground after she pushes off. Most umps won't call it, but some will.

Mar 13, 2010
She looks much better on the Day 2 videos.
I looked real hard....I did not see anything that was not legal. There was nothing that I could clearly see that was not legal. If I can't clearly see it (and be able to explain it) I can't call an IP.
BTW....nice job working with her. I hope she has a successful season and continues to develop as a top flight pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283