Command Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A simple way to get the idea is to perform the ball drop drill. In preparation for the ball to be dropped, the hitter will get to what some refer to as a loaded position. Generally a hitter will be at the point in their swing where they have just completed their Forward-by-Coil ... where their hip & back have pulled back around their rear leg, with the rear leg basically serving as a brace/platform/post. The hitter is in a stalled position where slop is removed and they are ready for their partner to drop the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sounds very similar to the "check-swing" drill.

When I have hitters perform a check swing I don't wish to see a pause in their flow ... other than the sudden interruption due to checking their swing.

I find it best to not even tell a hitter ahead of time to perform a check swing .... better is to throw balls out of the strike zone as you are throwing BP. A big yes to performing 'takes' ... and during BP is a good time to get that in.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I tried my best to match FFS' description with the frame timing difference in my gif...

35a58k3.gif

CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I tried my best to match FFS' description with the frame timing difference in my gif...

35a58k3.gif

CP

You show a pause after the "extra stretch" (i.e., missing frames).

Generally I see hitters that perform the "ball drop" drill paused just before the extra stretch ... right after the FbC, but just before the 'extra stretch'.

I see your logic of placing the pause where you placed it .... just pointing out that I usually see it just before this.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
It's funny you say that...I quibbled with placing the pause stating at frame 30 and even had it as far out as frame 34...

For the ball drop drill I can see your point about moving the pause a few frames earlier...getting the extra stretch as the ball is being dropped so everything just whips forward...CP

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA