Coming to College Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
That's interesting, I read it this morning and now when I go there I get the paywall. I just changed the link. Here are the basics:

"The rapid rise of big-dollar payments to student-athletes from so-called donor collectives has emerged as one of the biggest issues in college sports, transforming how players are recruited and encouraging a form of free agency for those looking to transfer."

The Supreme Court ruled that, even though they are 'amateurs', college athletes can accept payment for their 'name, image and likeness'. So big college donors are contributing to 'collectives' that pay athletes for their N, I, L. but they are in reality paying that player to come and play for their college. It's a way to work around the amateur status rules of the NCAA. Supposedly the Ohio State football coach told his donor group that they/he needs about 13 million dollars to fund the football team. And with the transfer portal being what it is all college athletes are now 'free agents', all it takes is a rich donor to get a player to come and play.
Yes there are players getting paid to transfer. Haley Lee received $40,000 to transfer to OU last year. There are more.

Feb 15, 2017
You think all levels would employ a person or persons to build collectives at all divisions

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2014
You think all levels would employ a person or persons to build collectives at all divisions
Yes, I am surprised all schools aren't quicker to think along these lines.

DD school recently added Men's and Women's Lacrosse (I can only assume to improve the cash flow in the school). At a time when several schools have closed due to funding issues it seems likes education can be slow to adapt.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414