Coming to College Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I wonder if any high level softball players are cashing in on this?

This another link, hopefully it works.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
the article is behind a paywall.
That's interesting, I read it this morning and now when I go there I get the paywall. I just changed the link. Here are the basics:

"The rapid rise of big-dollar payments to student-athletes from so-called donor collectives has emerged as one of the biggest issues in college sports, transforming how players are recruited and encouraging a form of free agency for those looking to transfer."

The Supreme Court ruled that, even though they are 'amateurs', college athletes can accept payment for their 'name, image and likeness'. So big college donors are contributing to 'collectives' that pay athletes for their N, I, L. but they are in reality paying that player to come and play for their college. It's a way to work around the amateur status rules of the NCAA. Supposedly the Ohio State football coach told his donor group that they/he needs about 13 million dollars to fund the football team. And with the transfer portal being what it is all college athletes are now 'free agents', all it takes is a rich donor to get a player to come and play.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
That's interesting, I read it this morning and now when I go there I get the paywall. Here are the basics:

"The rapid rise of big-dollar payments to student-athletes from so-called donor collectives has emerged as one of the biggest issues in college sports, transforming how players are recruited and encouraging a form of free agency for those looking to transfer."

The Supreme Court ruled that, even though they are 'amateurs', college athletes can accept payment for their 'name, image and likeness'. So big college donors are contributing to 'collectives' that pay athletes for their N, I, L. but they are in reality paying that player to come and play for their college. It's a way to work around the amateur status rules of the NCAA. Supposedly the Ohio State football coach told his donor group that they/he needs about 13 million dollars to fund the football team. And with the transfer portal being what it is all college athletes are now 'free agents', all it takes is a rich donor to get a player to come and play.

He’s not asking for enough 🤣

28m for the buffs this year in direct fundraising.

If they could just spend some of it on a softball program! We could have the prettiest field on ESPN with the flatirons in the background.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What's better than NIL $?
COLLECTIVES!
Floodgates are starting to open and I hope some of the water trickles onto Softball.
College Football and Basketball bring in HUGE amounts of money. The recruiting and transfer process is getting very interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00