Coming full circle!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Yes they do! I actually spoke to this woman a couple years back and told her when Anna went to college that I wanted a 12U Rec team. Guess she kept my number and took me literally? She said yesterday if she had a 12U team that I would have got it but no dice! 12U would have been my preference though, but it should be fun! And NO travel!!

You should hold out for an offer from the orphanage.

Absent that, good for you! Great to hear about parents cycling back and sharing their knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
mmmm, kinda got two minds on this one. it probably does lead to more wins, and girls (and everybody) enjoy winning, but I am generally one to try to teach them the correct play to make and to try it, even with low success %. when I coached rec (8u coach pitch and 10u) (and I too am strongly considering going back to it once DD2 is done HS, she is a frosh next year), I told parents right up front, i really do not care about Ws too much. I guage successfull season by girls having fun and developing. there was nothing quite like that first made out in coach pitch from a fielded ground ball, throw to first, with a successful catch. parents went nuts cheering. it was about 3-4 games in (rest of outs were Ks and grounders to 1B). I also remember in 10u the first time I saw that play made, it was DD at 3B, ACs DD at 1B, bit of a rainbow throw, slow runner, but again, all the parents went nuts

hell, I had an AC in Tball where the was no score, who said he kept score mentally by which team made the most defensive plays for what would have been outs. kept him interested.

Completely valid point, and I agree. This was mostly our approach toward the end of the season as people started paying attention to W-L records and thoughts of the playoffs.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Maybe I'll get lucky and have another little Anna on this team, when she was ten I put her at 3B. She was by far the smallest girl on that team, she had a freakishly abnormal arm for such a tiny kid, she'd throw a BB to first and the different girls playing 1B would run from the ball when she threw it to them!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe I'll get lucky and have another little Anna on his team, when she was ten I put her at 3B. She was by far the smallest girl on that team, she had a freakishly abnormal arm for such a tiny kid, she'd throw a BB to first and the different girls playing 1B would run from the ball when she threw it to them!

The girl to put at first is the one that's second best at catching the ball.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Alright guys, a little help and some opinions please. It's been almost 10 years since I've been around any 10U girls, I'm terrified! :oops: We start practice next week, we'll have two different 1.5 hours practices per week. We all know how important first impressions are and I haven't met the first girl, AC, or parent yet!

First off I'm a teddy bear, definitely not a loud intimidating type of coach, and especially around this age group. I fully expect a lot of mistakes, and welcome them to correct and fix them, hopefully! I do get irritated at having to repeat myself but I fully understand what I'm getting myself into!

So, first impression? Get in a circle and pick out the biggest girl and hit her in the leg with my Rocketech to set the tone.....too much? Make them run 10 laps before I even tell them my name? Before I get jumped on by the PC crowd here, relax I'm kidding!!

I want this to be as fun as possible for these girls, in our initial meeting I plan on asking if there's any first time ever players and if so I plan on building them up and making them comfortable with the whole process, and just make them feel welcome!

So, first time meeting this 10U group, first impressions, what ya got??

And BTW, I have already had a dad who I've been told is going to help me, he's already called me several times, sounds like a young guy, nice enough but he sure did ask me a lot of questions!

Some of you 10U dads, speak up please.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I would have a really fun 1st practice and do some fun/goofy drills or games to get them moving so that you can assess athletic ability and see where you are. Play the cat and mouse base running game, throw the ball threw a hoop for points, catch fly balls with teams and give points for caught balls. If you have a goofy hat, wear it. You have all season to make them D1 prospects, get them to want to come back for practice #2.

Edit: Smile and Laugh a lot!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA