Colleges who CAN START RECRUITING EARLY befor D1's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
D3 maybe not so much - especially the high academic ones where you still have to legitimately get past admissions.
( would comment that players any college have to legitimately get past admissions)

I am chatting about High academic D3s *specifically commenting about it because I know it is happening currently this summer!!!

The D3's are being pro-active,
Including Prestigious D3s!

This is why I keep commenting about getting SAT and ACT scores early on they set a benchmark that the college coaches can use to reflect on. Along with academic profile GPA and such.

But it has certainly created some JUCO and NAIA powerhouses in Florida.
Want to stay within Florida but not quite the power D1 player? Well you can play for a national championship at Florida Southwestern or or Indian River or Weber International or Florida National or several other teams. And it is dirt cheap and mum and dad can come watch you play.

Those teams and coaches establish relationships early and ride them through - JUCO and NAIA have a big pool of scholarship money to hand out. Many NAIA schools even have JV teams, so they can recruit a LOT of players and JV playing time is still time on the field. It is a very attractive place to be for a lot of Florida talent.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Acceptance rate being so low would be a good reason for them to start early filtering/searching.

Saying things like let us know if our College ever goes off of your wish list.

Jun 8, 2016
Acceptance rate being so low would be a good reason for them to start early filtering/searching.

Saying things like let us know if our College ever goes off of your wish list.
My point was (hence my selective quoting of you....) that not all "legitimately getting past admissions" are not created equal...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My point was (hence my selective quoting of you....) that not all "legitimately getting past admissions" are not created equal...
Yes agree, edited/took the word 'all' out of my sentence.

There is a way to make them pay attention with that academic ability though. The Academic Teams and players that I follow have been successful using high scores to their advantage. Limited spots on teams rosters. Good to get name on their list early.

Jul 12, 2019
If you look at the average financial aid at Amherst along with Room and Board
and then compare it to out-of-state Room and Board and the average financial aid at OU, it will
cost comebody an extra 10K or so per year to go to Amherst..stop getting Starbucks for a few years and
that should do it..
Your point is well taken as the avg need based fin aid numbers are surprisingly high (probably due to their ginormous endowment) and just over half of their students get fin aid. But if you come from an expensive real estate location (e.g. California, NY), it becomes pretty tough to qualify for need-based aid. I mean, if we can afford all those bats and lessons, how many can fall under the need-based category with an EFC that makes sense? (I'm joking a bit here, but private schools' aid is based on wealth vs just income so I've seen it where aid has not come through for families in multiple cases)

But I must say that Amherst in particular gives out a lot. I have to vet this a bit, but they average 62K based on their 2021 CDS.... for over half of their students... the other half is of course full pay.

I've heard it said that DIII recruiting feels more like a "walk-on" situation for all due to the uncertainty of the athlete actually making it on campus. The admission is one piece of the puzzle, and I was under the impression that finances will be another piece.

Jun 8, 2016
Your point is well taken as the avg need based fin aid numbers are surprisingly high (probably due to their ginormous endowment) and just over half of their students get fin aid. But if you come from an expensive real estate location (e.g. California, NY), it becomes pretty tough to qualify for need-based aid. I mean, if we can afford all those bats and lessons, how many can fall under the need-based category with an EFC that makes sense? (I'm joking a bit here, but private schools' aid is based on wealth vs just income so I've seen it where aid has not come through for families in multiple cases)

But I must say that Amherst in particular gives out a lot. I have to vet this a bit, but they average 62K based on their 2021 CDS.... for over half of their students... the other half is of course full pay.

I've heard it said that DIII recruiting feels more like a "walk-on" situation for all due to the uncertainty of the athlete actually making it on campus. The admission is one piece of the puzzle, and I was under the impression that finances will be another piece.
I deleted my response because it came across as pretentious and preachy. I do realize that many people who don’t qualify for aid cannot afford to pay completely out of pocket, even if they have been planning for it. I think everybody can agree that the cost of higher education has gotten out of hand..

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

In my real life, I am a Certified Financial Planner who conducts financial aid nights all over my area. This is the first time I've ever seen someone use the EFC term correctly on this board.

Here's the thing about the difference between private, public, and out-of-state public schools. Top-level private schools often cost less than out-of-state publics because they meet a ton of need-based aid from their endowments. Out-of-state public schools often subsidize their lower in-state tuition on the backs of those foolish enough to go to another state's public school without a good scholarship. My daughter will never go to an out-of-state public school unless she gets a large scholarship, athletic or academic.

Funny story about so-called top colleges. About 12 years ago, I had a local HS football player being recruited by Princeton as a QB/DB. The coach told the kid, "If we can get your average up to an 88 from the current 85, I can make the case to the admission committee for you." Needless to say, he couldn't get the average up enough, so he went to U of Delaware instead. Even they overlooked his lower grades to get him passed the admission criteria for non-athletes.

May 27, 2013

I think it depends on the conference. With the D3 schools dd (and now ds) are familiar with, they will actively recruit and have their top prospects go through the academic preread - typically this time of year if they are rising seniors. Some will also do a financial aid preread if you ask. One sent the financial aid calculator along with the preread and made it clear to only continue with the preread if the financial aid calculator gave you a number you felt comfortable with.

They will do more prereads for more recruits than they have spots for as they want to be sure a recruit can get through admissions. Even a preread is not a guarantee, but it gives you a pretty good idea. It will also help the coach decide if they can support the recruit through admissions. Some schools allow more coach support than others. At the top conferences, it is much less likely that there will be walk-ons. DD’s team did not have them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06