College has some

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
interesting win loss records to follow.

What are you seeing thats standing out as better or worse for programs?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
Duke at 19-1. Very respectable loss for Baylor.
Duke hasn't entered the tough part of their schedule yet, but a 3-0 loss to Oklahoma isn't a beat down by any means.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Long Beach 4-21
Santa Barbra 6-15
San Diego State 13-11 (peaked into top 25 rankings but has dropped like a rock)
UC San Diego 6-17
Bakersfield 2- 18
UC Riverside 6-13
Why aren't these so cal teams better?

Apr 28, 2014
Long Beach 4-21
Santa Barbra 6-15
UC San Diego 6-17
Bakersfield 2- 18
UC Riverside 6-13
Pitching is hard to get... very

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pitching is hard to get BUT one would think that these colleges would have a geographic advantage when it comes to recruiting. So, is SoCal travel ball not as strong as perceived or do the best SoCal players get recruited to SEC or ACC or are the SoCal college coaches not very good at evaluating talent and not aggressively recruiting the best players?

Oct 26, 2019
Long Beach 4-21
Santa Barbra 6-15
UC San Diego 6-17
Bakersfield 2- 18
UC Riverside 6-13
Geographical area can’t overcome the schools perception. Those are all mid major teams. Comparing them to SEC teams or ACC teams doesn’t seem like a fair comparison. They don’t really compete with those conferences in many sports.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My opinion. There will be same percentage per capita of "studs" in every geographic region. Some regions have a bigger pools (Hot Beds). If you take a look at the big summer tourneys, the top 5 are no longer all SoCal teams. Also, teams from areas not necessarily known as hot beds are winning and placing high. Take a look at the 3 yr US Club Rankings. Furthermore, California schools do not attend (I never saw) the big showcase Nationals outside of California. Look at their rosters. Somewhat rare to see kids outside of their state.

I have watched a lot of these mid major teams on ESPN+ and I don't see any difference in the sub prime players than I see in my own back yard. For the most part mid majors around the country recruit from their own pool in their regions. YMMV.

Aug 3, 2016
Long Beach 4-21
Santa Barbra 6-15
UC San Diego 6-17
Bakersfield 2- 18
UC Riverside 6-13
You didn't even include Fresno, Fullerton, Cal Poly and Cal Baptist. They're all pretty bad too. There might be a big pool of talent in SoCal but clearly it's not very deep. Once the power five schools and top tier mid majors skim off the top, you've got about 10 schools in the region recruiting the same "skill level" athlete to fill their roster. And if by chance that athlete achieves some success, straight to the portal they go. Not to mention, the facilities at all those school are pretty poor.

May 13, 2023
You didn't even include Fresno, Fullerton, Cal Poly and Cal Baptist. They're all pretty bad too. There might be a big pool of talent in SoCal but clearly it's not very deep. Once the power five schools and top tier mid majors skim off the top, you've got about 10 schools in the region recruiting the same "skill level" athlete to fill their roster. And if by chance that athlete achieves some success, straight to the portal they go.
Add~ Cal State colleges do not have the money to recruit out of state players. Which obviously doesn't limit them from in-state players. But the opportunity players have to go elsewhere and get a fancier campus program is reality.
Not to mention, the facilities at all those school are pretty poor.
Agree. Also aesthetically speaking of campuses there are a lot of other colleges that have much better curb appeal.

Fullerton stands out as at least a built up sb Stadium. But location and the rest of the campus is not as appealing.
While long bch is still sitting on aluminum bleachers. Less appealing campus. Kind of reminds me of DMV buildings.
Bakersfield as of 3 years ago still only had one pitching machine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414