College Camp Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Coach Dani never seemed to fault the pitcher who had a parent catch their kid when asked to provide a catcher.

Thanks Vertigo, that is one of the camps DD is attending. It’s close enough to home that we should be able to get a catcher. The other one is in Boston, however, and will be more of a challenge.

Based on some of the reactions here, I would say maybe it’s more of a Northeast thing, but the Ivies are peppered with Texas and California kids. Guess they’re all oil and Silicon Valley scions who fly their personal catchers out on their private jets

More likely, those schools always attend the western showcases and the players probably only attend the invitation camps where the coaches control who is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Thanks Vertigo, that is one of the camps DD is attending. It’s close enough to home that we should be able to get a catcher. The other one is in Boston, however, and will be more of a challenge.

I imagine you’ll be in the bubble then. The attending catchers at that camp, if run similar to how it was done in the past, will be doing their own thing while the pitchers work on their pitches. Absolutely need a separate catcher if they do it that way again.

All you do is just sit around the edges of the bubble with all the other parents who are watching. You only go onto the turf when they do the pitching portion, and then go back to the outer edge once they are done. There most likely will be other parents catching their DD’s at that camp.

Coach Dani is a lovely person - I’m sure your dd will really like her!

ETA: Be sure to dress warm - it tends to run on the cooler side in the bubble. If you have a small folding chair, bring it. There is very limited seating inside. Good luck! 😊

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
I catch my kid and I suck at it. On the low ones directly at me, I just stand up and lift a leg. I wouldn't dare catch at a camp.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I catch my kid and I suck at it. On the low ones directly at me, I just stand up and lift a leg. I wouldn't dare catch at a camp.
It's all about technique LOL...
Keep on doing your best 👍

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Well, it looks like I'll be taking a bullet for my daughter this weekend. The camp is two days, and the flight would cost be an extra $700 to bring a catcher.

If I don't make it back, it's been fun, DFP!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128_120401_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20221128_120401_Gmail.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 29
May 16, 2016
This part kills me... "It cannot be a catcher attending the catching session at camp"

What Travel Ball catcher is going to want to take the time to travel to an out of town camp, and NOT attend the catching session?

Things you can try....

1. If you are part of a national org, reach out to teams that are local to the camp, offer to pay for a catcher. If you are not part of a national org, most have list of teams by state. Start shooting emails out to the coaches.
2. Ask here on the forum, to see if anyone is local (or knows someone local to the camp) that might be willing to catch.
3. Here in GA there is a forum where teams post about tryouts and or needing Pick up players. I'm guessing there is a similar forum in most states. Find the equivalent for the state you are traveling to, and post for a catcher (offer to pay for their time).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00