coachjsoriano

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Do you agree with the sky is blue? How about the Warriors are gonna 3peat?
If the Celtics are not in it, and after the last two games it looks like they won't be, I will be rooting for the
Warriors. I like Steph.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Jsoriano is 100% a HI disciple. He's teaching barrel turn, lateral tilt, coil, etc all exactly as he learned from HI and continues to work with TM on occasion. That said, he has done a fantastic job at translating the information from HI into a very functional series of drills. He is a phenomenal teacher.

TM's success in MLB has also done a great job of putting a spotlight on jsoriano and is allowing many others to share in the knowledge. I also recommend checking out Mercer Aces Baseball who is all doing great work of translating HI mechanics into functional drills for youth baseball.

A lot of people don't like TM, and I get it. All that aside, there's no longer a debate about the mechanics that he developed as they've been verified at the highest level. Now that they are being condensed and simplified via jsoriano and the lot, results are being experienced up and down age groups for both baseball and softball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A lot of people don't like TM, and I get it. All that aside, there's no longer a debate about the mechanics that he developed
You must be new here(I say that jokingly...). As soon as some posters see TM.......well you know the rest................
TM is a big meany..........when it comes from another source the same info it's 'ground breaking'.........................

ian

Jun 11, 2015
This isn't giving away the cow or anything if you follow him on Twitter or Instagram:

Next progression was snap stops with a long PVC pipe or broom handle. He highly encouraged swinging from the neck slot, and included photos of preset arm angles (90 degree) and pulling back from the preset position with the rear scap (not pushing with front shoulder).

I'm at a frustrated spot with my daughter in the training - it's the end of season with tournament play (rec league) coming up. I can tell when we're not working consistently, she reverts back to old habits. Over the past 10 days or so, it's pulling teeth to get her to work. I was highly frustrated last night at her team's practice with her NOT doing anything we've worked on (even just simply loading up or getting in to her legs). So while I've noticed improvement when she puts the work in, I feel like I'm nagging her to do it, and when we do the work, I'm coming across as hypercritical because I want to improve and ultimately perfect the drill/progression and she gets frustrated when it's challenging and doesn't result in instant success. So, yeah....fun times : /
Frustrated in 10u? You ain't gonna make it brother.

Dec 11, 2010
At this age, focusing on a decent sequence will probably be the biggest payoff, along with the intent to hit the ball hard.
You are the issue. Good to recognize it now. I wish I had for myself.

Keep this in mind...At every level, the game has to remain fun for her. Her definition of fun will evolve, but if she's not enjoying it, something is wrong. Your job is to not get in the way of the fun.

At this age, focusing on a decent sequence will probably be the biggest payoff, along with the intent to hit the ball hard.

You are not the only one that loses their perspective.

I agree with the others and will add. She wants your approval, wants you to see her in the best light (never forget that)...don't show her your frustration. Tell her all the good things she does even if you have to really look for something. Keep your criticisms to your self. You have to make it fun and don't get caught up in the rat race of trying to get her to be the best at an unrealistic pace. Play, have fun, love her, encourage her, be her fan...rinse and repeat!

Later on you may be able to have a relationship where your able to have coach talks or dad talks and she will understand the difference.

One thing I have learned working with alot of girls and different ages is ...not you, me or any other person/coach ect..... knows what a girl can accomplish from 1 year to the next.

You have many years ahead of you if she ends up loving the game... and you will experience a variety of times when she will be TOO hard on herself, feel like she is not progressing and a whole lot of other issues where she will need as a dad! Be her dad first!

These comments are right on. I can tell they have been through all this stuff. I cherry picked a couple things that I have watched work over and over in my two dd’s Journey and those of quite a few other kids.

It’s a marathon not a sprint. A really long journey. Slow but continuous improvement over years not days or weeks gets you there. There will be days where you gain a lot of ground but most days the improvement is so slow you can’t see it. Trust that it is happening. Trust the process.

Emphasize improvement. Your job is to catch them doing something right, not nag every waking moment about what is wrong. Just like in dog training, your kid needs praise for what she is doing right 9/10 times and gets a “bad dog” 1/10 times. CATCH HER DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
These comments are right on. I can tell they have been through all this stuff. I cherry picked a couple things that I have watched work over and over in my two dd’s Journey and those of quite a few other kids.

It’s a marathon not a sprint. A really long journey. Slow but continuous improvement over years not days or weeks gets you there. There will be days where you gain a lot of ground but most days the improvement is so slow you can’t see it. Trust that it is happening. Trust the process.

Emphasize improvement. Your job is to catch them doing something right, not nag every waking moment about what is wrong. Just like in dog training, your kid needs praise for what she is doing right 9/10 times and gets a “bad dog” 1/10 times. CATCH HER DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

Appreciate the comments, Westwind. Again, I basically just turned this in to my deep dark issues that I battle myself and became super vulnerable. It's comforting to hear that others have had the same experience. Since my post, I've taken constructive comments from others to heart, and my there's a lot less tension about putting in some work between my daughter and I. In fact, we just had a fantastic 20-minute session working on Soriano's drill about turning the barrel from the neck slot. She had a great attitude, I had a great attitude and we both saw how much improvement she had in just 20 minutes.

Anyway, thanks to you Westwind and others for encouraging comments, and I'm sure this not only helps myself but others that may sometimes fall in to the same place I am.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06