Coaching Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2010
If the parent does not address the issue with you it is a non issue. If parents vent, they vent. If they come to you then address the problem. Playing time, positions, team goals, rules should of been addressed with the entire team and parents prior to the first practice. If they go to another coach.....let them.....Sometimes parents just need to vent and that is okay as long as it does not change your team goals. Don't get into a battle with "I am the manager" everything has to go through me. It is a losing battle. Get your coaches on the same page, if they disagree with the team goals ask them to step aside and find coaches that do.

I guess I don't understand. Why do you need everything to go through you? The more I can get parents to talk to my coaches, the better off the team is! Delegate! We are not establishing a new government of Cuba. This is 12U softball.

If I am a parent, and I want to chat about the batting order, I am supposed to talk to the 'Manager'? Around here, the manager orders socks, conducts fundraising, and schedules motels. WTH am I talking to the 'manager' for about the batting order or playing time? I want a coach.

Establish roles and titles all you want. Parents will talk to the people they perceive listen and can make change. Is this about a bunch of girls playing ball or your ego?

Oct 10, 2010
I guess I don't understand. Why do you need everything to go through you? The more I can get parents to talk to my coaches, the better off the team is! Delegate! We are not establishing a new government of Cuba. This is 12U softball.

If I am a parent, and I want to chat about the batting order, I am supposed to talk to the 'Manager'? Around here, the manager orders socks, conducts fundraising, and schedules motels. WTH am I talking to the 'manager' for about the batting order or playing time? I want a coach.

Establish roles and titles all you want. Parents will talk to the people they perceive listen and can make change. Is this about a bunch of girls playing ball or your ego?

I don't usually chime in here, but I must. He is the manager. It is his team. You may want to play the role of "sock orderer", but he does not need to. I choose to do both myself. If a parent has a complaint around playing time, batting order etc and goes to one of my coaches, it will do no good because I will not even address it. When they come to me directly (and you must let them you know you are always willing to disscuss issues) I will give them my reasoning with 100% honesty. They will not always like the answers, but it is my team. I discuss almost everything with my coaches and we make as many decisions as we can together. Sometimes I over rule them, but most times we agree. I have found the best way to address complaints is to ask them "why". Why does your daughter deserve to play SS?? Why does your daughter deserve to bat #1??? Most times they don't have a case at all. It has nothing to do with ego, It has everything to do with controling poison.

I would also get rid of the coddling coach who is poison to your team.

That being said, you must also ask yourself, why the parents are not coming to you??? Have you made it clear you are 100% available for their issues?? Have you discussed this a team meetings?? I would look within first, then address the rest.

Apr 6, 2012
Okay, you are now closing the barn door after the horse has left the barn. You need to consider a couple of things right now. First, you may be the manager/head coach but it is NOT your team. Without players you don't have a team. Having said that, I don't mean that there isn't anyone in charge. Someone has to be the bottom line. However, you need to have a meeting with the coaching staff right now and establish roles. Admit that this should have been done, but since it wasn't you all need to do it now. Give your assistant coaches a chance to talk. Listen, and then make decisions regarding coaching philosophy, playing time, communication, etc. If you can get your assistant coaches on board you will be in much better shape and the season will go smoother. Once you have established the roles and procedures of the coaching staff, meet with the parents again. Review the philosophy, rules, roles and procedures. Better yet, have them written down and give a copy to each parent and coach. We have a booklet we give parents at tryouts and again when they accept a position. We have our parents and players sign a contract saying they have read and understand the rules. It saves us a lot, but not all problems. But, at least no one can say they didn't know. Understand that some people may not be happy and may leave. Like someone said, you can "reset" in the winter if need be.

Our team understands who they need to talk to about issues. They also understand that now that their daughters are older, the girls are the ones who need to ask questions about playing time. They know that going to an assistant coach will only get them to me ultimately. I think that most of our parents and girls are comfortable talking to me.

Also, at the 12 U level I hope you are about player development more than winning plastic trophies. Of course, winning is important, but don't forget that you are here to develop good players and good people. Teach them the skills of playing softball, but also teach them life lessons of honesty, integrity, commitment, etc.

As you coach more, we all learn these lessons and get smarter as the years go by. Even with that, we all learn something we could have done better every year. I know I am still learning!!! Hang in there and good luck!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2012
Thank you all for your honest feedback. I think that my original post might have been a little "Dictator" like, and I didn't mean it to but, I think I was just frustrated at the time I wrote the post.

I absolutely am all about player development above all. Especially having most girls on the team being pulled from the house league. We can't compete if we don't develop our players obviously. I did hit the reset button at the end of our last scrimmage of the year, just the other day. The girls were competitive in losing 8-6 in a scrimmage against the town next door travel team. The girls were very excited about the way we played. And I made it top priority to keep a positive attitude and that we will be working even harder next Jan-April to be even better. Reminded them training will be intense and they will all be better ball players, and that if we win, it's a bonus, if not, I want them to be better players. We entered one tournament in the fall this year and we were out scored 39-3. Our pool play loses were 19-2 we hung with them for 3 innings 5-3, but then the wheels feel off, the second pool game was a rough game lost 13-0 and in our bracket play game we lost 8-1, we played them strong for 6 innings. It was the best 8-1 loss I've ever been involved in and the girls were so excited about their play. I am proud of their development in the short amount of time we've been together.

The parent(s) that had issues with playing time came up to me after the last scrimmage and thanked me for the development they have seen in their daughter(s), had a proud "coach" moment and shared the information with the other coaches, because without them, well you know.

We have weekly coaches meetings and will continue throughout the season.

I just didn't want this team spiral out of control right from the beginning, so since my first post the coaches have met and discussed roles and philosophy again, and we are all on the same page. As manager I want to have "control" of the team, and not in a dictatorship kind of way, just want to know what is going on and want to make sure that the coaches and myself are delivering the same message to the girls and their parents. I have great coaches and we are looking to a successful year.

Thank you all again, this was a great experience and I will be posting much more for advice, as my screen name suggests...I'm a newbie.

Anyone have any pitchers they want to send to the midwest? lol. OMG I'm already missing softball the day after our last scrimmage:(

CoachGene72

Can Talk Softball all day
Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
I have just started a new 12U team as well, Iif I had to give myself a title it would be president of org and the ac. BC makes all playing time and batting issues. If my own SS is not pitching well or getting on base she is going to be on the bench. Clearly outlined this expectation at tryouts, so to eliminate parents with those issues. Player development comes 1st, team relationships next, if those 2 are in place winning will happen. IMHO

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If my own SS is not pitching well or getting on base she is going to be on the bench. Clearly outlined this expectation at tryouts, so to eliminate parents with those issues. Player development comes 1st.

If player development comes first, why would anyone be on the bench? For the sake of player development, I'd think ''small roster, nobody sits'' is the best strategy.

Jan 24, 2011
If player development comes first, why would anyone be on the bench? For the sake of player development, I'd think ''small roster, nobody sits'' is the best strategy.

A player being on the bench doesnt necessarily prohibit their development. For some players , a little bench time is a good thing

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
A player being on the bench doesnt necessarily prohibit their development. For some players , a little bench time is a good thing

If we're talking about benching players who lack the proper effort, preparation and attitude, then I agree. If we're benching based purely on performance, as suggested in the quote -''If my own SS is not ... getting on base, she is going to be on the bench'' - then I would question whether player development is really the #1 goal. It was meant as food for thought to the poster. To other coaches that I've heard state in tryouts that player development was their #1 goal, then have dedicated girls who get 20 at-bats in 60 games, I would be more critical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi