Coaching Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2012
Hello all.

Need some advice on coaching and managing.

Jumping into 12U FT Travel and we have some issues after our first fall Tournament.

I am the manager and have a head coach that has the same expectations as me, we are "cautiously optimistic" that we can complete well. The other coaches are less optimistic. The coach that is less Opto, is a coddler and is friends with some of the family members on the team.

THe parents seem to talk to the coach about playing time, team issues etc. This is MY team. They need to speak to me about issues. The problem is that no specific roles have been set in stone as to what each coach is responsible for.

I would like to assign the title of Asst. Manager to the head coach that has the same philosophy as me and assign the other coaches as Pitching Coach and Bench Coach. If that parent have any issues pertaining to playing time, batting order, philosophies, etc. they are to be addressed with the Mgr or Asst. Mgr, NOT the coaches.

I want to assign job responsibilities in practice and game time to the Bench Coach and Pitching coach. Can anyone please help me define what you think their roles should be?

Thank you.

Don't want a mutiny on my hands one tournament into the season.

Dec 29, 2010
If that parent have any issues pertaining to playing time, batting order, philosophies, etc. they are to be addressed with the Mgr or Asst. Mgr, NOT the coaches.

You should of addressed this with the parents after your first practice. Even though it's "my team" include your coaching staff on your decisions. Take their input and then decide. If not, by spring "my team" will be the head coaches team with another organization with half your players and your scrambling to fill your roster.

Oct 25, 2012
good point will take that into consideration. I guess the frustrating part is that when we started, the 3 coaches and myself were in agreement that this is NOT house league. But the parents need to know that their issues have to go through me. I will discuss with the coaches when needed, but I don't want a coach to be undermining my decisions, agreeing with parents about unbalanced playing time, again this is NOT house league. Girls earn playing time. That is why I want to assign the coaches certain roles, so they can still have an open dialog with the parents when it come to what each coach is responsible for.

Thanks.

Just be careful on your approach the this "MY TEAM'", "NOT HOUSE LEAGUE", "EVERYTHING RUNS THROUGH ME" all sounds great in theory but when faced with reality could very quickly lead to the scenario fpdaddy was suggesting. Running a mini-dictatorship works fine if there are no other teams within 40 miles or people are not free to leave and form there own team. A little experience will quickly let you know that besides bench coach, AC, pitching coach, etc. your coaches will also develop differently as far as relationships, some coaches take a positive/encouraging approach, some more hard core/disciplinarian, others relate to parents, don't shut down all these different ways of communication within the team dynamic you can't forbid them they happen naturally and during the season you will need each one.

You started off on the wrong foot by not assigning roles to begin with (even if they change later you should start with a plan). The biggest thing you should do is set out guidelines for your coaching staff, if a parent approaches them that is fine as long as they understand that while they can encourage the communication and really appreciate their input the answer is always "I'll take it up with the rest of the coaching staff next time we get together". Your coaching staff is a team too, and yes there has to be a leader with the final say and that is you but you should never approach it with that attitude. Let's say all the coaches agree on something but you don't can you over rule them...sure... but shouldn't you making sure you ask yourself what make you think you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Again a benevolent dictatorship is the absolute best form of government or head coaching the problem is benevolence is in the eye of the beholder.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hello all.

Need some advice on coaching and managing.

Jumping into 12U FT Travel and we have some issues after our first fall Tournament.

I am the manager and have a head coach that has the same expectations as me, we are "cautiously optimistic" that we can complete well. The other coaches are less optimistic. The coach that is less Opto, is a coddler and is friends with some of the family members on the team.

THe parents seem to talk to the coach about playing time, team issues etc. This is MY team. They need to speak to me about issues. The problem is that no specific roles have been set in stone as to what each coach is responsible for.

I would like to assign the title of Asst. Manager to the head coach that has the same philosophy as me and assign the other coaches as Pitching Coach and Bench Coach. If that parent have any issues pertaining to playing time, batting order, philosophies, etc. they are to be addressed with the Mgr or Asst. Mgr, NOT the coaches.

I want to assign job responsibilities in practice and game time to the Bench Coach and Pitching coach. Can anyone please help me define what you think their roles should be?

Thank you.

Don't want a mutiny on my hands one tournament into the season.

What good are titles going to do. I assume the parents already know you are the manager and you have a head coach. Yet they still went to someone else with their complaints. If you know a parent has complained to a coach, you should talk privately with that parent, ask them their concerns and explain what you are going to do in the future. Even if its to tell them that nothing will change, at least you have let them know you are the person to talk to, and you are making the decisions. Then its up to them to decide if they want to stick around or leave. But if you ignore the parents and focus on which coach should do what, it does not solve your problem. You need to talk to the parents.

Feb 3, 2011
good point will take that into consideration. I guess the frustrating part is that when we started, the 3 coaches and myself were in agreement that this is NOT house league. But the parents need to know that their issues have to go through me. I will discuss with the coaches when needed, but I don't want a coach to be undermining my decisions, agreeing with parents about unbalanced playing time, again this is NOT house league. Girls earn playing time.

The only thing I'd add to what David said is to be cautious with taking a hard line on the earning playing time philosophy. You say you and your coaches were all on the same page before starting the team, but as you have described the overall situation, this was not fully communicated to the parents who have placed their daughters into your care. I know you've got parents on that team who want their DD to be on a winning team, but I bet you've also got a parent or 2 who want to see player development as a primary element of your program.

As a brand-new travel team, it's my personal opinion that you're going in with a flawed mindset if it's a priority to 'compete well' right away. No coach wants to take a team out to get beat up week after week, but coming out of rec, you've got to realize that there's a transition period, not only with getting a team up to a competitive level in terms of the way players play the game, but also in the way you move away from balanced playing time and many other things as well, including the way parents PERCEIVE that a team is being managed. You can't just flip a switch and expect to be there right away.

A good 12u manager or coach does not dismiss player development for the sake of a few extra wins and those who do often find themselves without a good team - or even a team at all - when it's time to start year 2.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
If the parent does not address the issue with you it is a non issue. If parents vent, they vent. If they come to you then address the problem. Playing time, positions, team goals, rules should of been addressed with the entire team and parents prior to the first practice. If they go to another coach.....let them.....Sometimes parents just need to vent and that is okay as long as it does not change your team goals. Don't get into a battle with "I am the manager" everything has to go through me. It is a losing battle. Get your coaches on the same page, if they disagree with the team goals ask them to step aside and find coaches that do.

Feb 3, 2011
If the parent does not address the issue with you it is a non issue. If parents vent, they vent. If they come to you then address the problem. Playing time, positions, team goals, rules should of been addressed with the entire team and parents prior to the first practice. If they go to another coach.....let them.....Sometimes parents just need to vent and that is okay as long as it does not change your team goals. Don't get into a battle with "I am the manager" everything has to go through me. It is a losing battle. Get your coaches on the same page, if they disagree with the team goals ask them to step aside and find coaches that do.

Sounds good on paper, but asking coaches to step aside now for this 1st-year team could quite possibly mean having to replace players, too. That's not the end of the world, but if a 1st-year team doesn't even get through the fall season without completely crumbling apart, that could be a sign of things to come.

You're right that everything should have been outlined before the team was formed, but since the people in charge did NOT do this, you can't really hold the assistant coaches and parents responsible for not knowing what the main manager had in mind.

What this coach has described has a lot to do with why many 12u teams don't ever make it to 14u.

Feb 24, 2010
One way you can get around all of the title issues it to announce a "re-set" after fall ball is complete. You can say that the the fall tournaments were an evaluation period to assess the players and team, including coaches, and now roles and duties will be assigned. You can also add that since this is a new team, there are some questions that parents likely have, now that everyone has seen a tournament or two, regarding competitiveness, playing time, etc. and that all of those questions should go through you.

I understand that you do not wish that the parents go to one particular coach, but having btdt, this may not be a bad thing. My concern, if I were in your shoes, is that the AC did not mention these issues to you. AC's are there for this sort of thing, but not relaying that information up the ladder shows that this is where the real issue lies - not in the fact that parents have issues, as ALL parents will have an issue at some point. You can address this at your weekly coaches meeting - you do have those, don't you?

Everyone needs a role and responsibility with clearly defined duties, and as the manager it is up to you to make sure that your AC's report to you in the manner that you wish. You're looking from 10,000 ft, dealing with the larger issues, whereas your AC's are at the 100 ft level, dealing with details. Information must flow both ways. If not, good luck finding new players and coaches each year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877