Coaching Expectations and Guidelines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
As the Fall season approaches, many organizations are getting ready to start new 'seasons' with new teams.

What are some of the things you include in your initial Coaches address to the parents. Expectations and such. What are your practice attendance policies and ramifications for example.

Feb 24, 2010
My "welcome" packet is 4 pages long and includes everything that I can think of so there are no surprises later. I include things such as payment schedule, number of tournaments, expectations during practices and games (no cell phones, family/friend interruptions, etc.), practice schedules (twice per week, etc.), what "team practice" is and is not, individual expectations for pitchers (pitch 3-4 times per week on own or with PC), hotel/travel conduct (curfew, swimming restrictions, etc.), nutrition and conditioning outside of team activities, how I handle roster additions. - I think you get the idea. But the main point I make sure that everyone knows is what our team objectives are and how they will be met. I also make sure that they know and sign the organizations Code of Conduct for Players and Parents, and what are the consequences for not following these rules. If you don't have a Code, get one as quickly as possible - this will allow you to nip any issue before it becomes a problem.

Jan 28, 2010
My "welcome" packet is 4 pages long and includes everything that I can think of so there are no surprises later. I include things such as payment schedule, number of tournaments, expectations during practices and games (no cell phones, family/friend interruptions, etc.), practice schedules (twice per week, etc.), what "team practice" is and is not, individual expectations for pitchers (pitch 3-4 times per week on own or with PC), hotel/travel conduct (curfew, swimming restrictions, etc.), nutrition and conditioning outside of team activities, how I handle roster additions. - I think you get the idea. But the main point I make sure that everyone knows is what our team objectives are and how they will be met. I also make sure that they know and sign the organizations Code of Conduct for Players and Parents, and what are the consequences for not following these rules. If you don't have a Code, get one as quickly as possible - this will allow you to nip any issue before it becomes a problem.

Out of curiosity, what are the consequences for parents that break the parent/player code of conduct? We have a policy, but have never had to enforce it. I may need to soon though.

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2010
depends on the infraction, from game and/or tournament suspension, up to dismissal from the team. This is the worst part of coaching a team. However, what people don't get is this: these teams are private clubs, and the founders/board members/leaders of the club get to make the rules. Follow the rules, or you are subject to being kicked out the club.

I had a parent who constantly yelled at umpires, and riled up a few other folks to do so as well. In the first game of their 1st tourney with us, I thought they were a little amped up, nad gave him a pass (something like, hey, let's remember how all of us reflect on each other). After the 2nd game, I had tell him he and his DD would have to leave the tournament if I heard another vile remark. He asked a few folks if I was serious, and they assured him I was. It ended there.

Jun 16, 2010
Fundraising requirements and/or buyout cost and fees
Team goals (we will compete nationally in ASA, this years nationals are in ____, we plan to be there)
Travel requirements (you agree to travel wherever we choose to play, possibly requiring airfare)
Playing time and positions determinations (we will make these based on merit and what we percieve as best for team)
Behavior expectations on and off field - athletes and parents (you represent US now, not yourself, behave accordingly)
How to address coaches (confrontations will not be tolerated, bring your kids uniforms if you do)
Attendance, practice frequency (required, notify coach in advance if cannot be there.)
Grades !! ( we train girls to so they can play college ball, if they cannot make good grades they will not be college material. School comes first)
Outside supplemental work ( homework - pitching and hitting practice, etc)

Most have been around the block a few times and theres nothing new to them.
I would not cite any specific penalties for non-compliance, possibly not even what constitutes it. That is more likely to constrain you at some point than help.

The bottom line is always that trouble makers will be asked to leave.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2010
Our organizations Code of Conduct explicitly states that we have "a No Tolerance policy, and violation will result in the immediate discharge of the offending Player/Parent/Coach"...."and will result in forfeiture of all fees paid to the (organization)". This has not actually happened in our organization, but there have been warnings in the past that put an end to the behavior. It also can be used to deny a player from returning to the team the following year, as was done this past year by another team in our organization.

I also have many of the things that Living has in his/her "contract". I also have in there that all playing time, position and roster decisions are made by the coaching staff and are not up for discussion. Our team last year did not have this "contract" and there was quite a bit of gossip amongst the parents about these various issues, but the older teams in our organization had parents who sat and watched the game, enjoying themselves immensely. They cited this "contract" as the main reason why they were able to just sit and watch vs. criticize.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD just finished 12U and is now moving up to 14U. You would think that at the ypounger age group, with many parents being exposed to club ball for the 1st time, many of the Little league/Rec Ball habits of coaching from the sidelines and complaining would carry over. Surprisingly, they did not. There was a bit of sideline coaching in the Fall and early in the spring, but very little after that. It made for a very pleasant experience.

Feb 24, 2010
I have not seen these behavior codes enforced. Do you make the parents sign it? Actually, the coaches' behavior at games is almost as bad.

I have heard a parent yell at a girl to 'hurry up' on passed balls, many yell where the girls should throw (they often do this after an error, causing multiple throwing errors on on play when the girls should hold the ball). I have heard a coach scream like a hyena when a girl swung at a high pitch.

The parents and coaches have grunted in unison when a mistake is made. I have seen girls called clutzes by the coach and worse. Often the daddy coaches yell at their own daughters. I have heard coaches yelling at each other. Two coaches were kicked out over the past several years, but that has not stopped the behavior. They just go elsewhere.

Sorry to vent, but it's just bad. The girls get afraid of making mistakes because they dread the loud reaction.

I was wondering if having to sign a code would make a difference. It is hard to see your behavior as wrong, especially if you are the one handing out the code.

Yes, the organizations Code of Conduct requires a signature from the player, parent and coach on every form. And yes, I have seen the coaches behavior worse than the player/parents, but from other organizations.

When you say "yell at a girl to hurry up" do you mean actually verbally abusing them, or just being loud to be heard - there is a difference, and if I yell it's to be heard. I do know that they will be afraid of making mistakes and that if they are verbally abused then they won't attempt the next play - as I saw this happen pretty much all last year. I explain to them that they will make mistakes, and that I expect them to since not only are they kids, but they are human as well. I also tell them that they won't make every play, but if they always try, eventually they will make the play, and the next one, etc. until they CAN"T NOT make the play eventually. This is how they become better players, and better people.

I didn't write the code, but I coach by it. I've seen what the older teams in our organization are like and their teams play really well and the parents and players enjoy themselves following this code. If you feel that there is an issue with a coach following his/her organizations rules, then maybe you're in the wrong organization. Some people think that if you're not verbally abusive, then you're not a good coach and you won't get the best out of the players. As has been stated here and on other forums, many coaches are not there for the girls, but rather their own ego trips.

R

RayR

I don't admit to being perfect, but this past summer I learned what creating a positive atmosphere can do for your players. Before a coach can expect certain behavior from players and parents - he/she has to make sure their own behavior is the model.

Players know when they make an error mentally or physicaly - do we need to rub their noses in it? How many coaches still do?

Here is my biggest gripe: Softball/baseball is the one sport where many coaches sit around and second guess plays. Every other sport - there is a play called and if the coach runs good practices - the players will normally perform their assignments.

For example, an outfilelder will throw home on a ball that should have been thrown to 2B and the coach yells after the play (maybe the team had a 2 run lead and you want to keep the hitter off 2B). But, did anyone say before the play where to throw the ball? How about calling a play? Rarely happens. Coaches expect their players to know what to do and the simple fact is they don't. But, if you start calling plays before they happen - by midseason they will start recognizing situations and anticipating the play call. You should still call the play, but now all of your team is really in lock step with you. It's funny to me how much time is spent on 1st and 3rd situations and no time is spent on all of the other situations that come up. Runner on 3rd - check 3, suicide defenses, safety bunt defenses. How about slap defenses? I enjoy sending a slapper up and watch the other team make no adjustment. I could go on and on, but the point is the actual caoching is mostly reactive and negative.

What does this have to do with the OT? Your actions as a coach will dictate everything. Keep it positive, proactive and keep teaching and you will see your "behavioral problems" dwindle. Respect the umps, opposing players (I try and make friends with the opposing 3rd basemen every game and will compliment her on a good play) and coaches and you breed that kind of environment. Mistakes happen - wait until the player gets into the dugout and coach them UP. Codes of conduct, IMO, establish a negative, confrontational environment.

Sorry for the rant - I see this crap all the time and it bugs me...

Feb 24, 2010
MTS, I agree with all of your post, except near the end when you say "codes of conduct, IMO, establish a negative, confrontational environment." Our codes are presented to the player and the parents so they know what is and is not acceptable behavior - alcohol and drug use, profanity, etc. - and it also has language to the positive - congratulate the other team, demonstrate sportsmanship, etc. I don' think this is negative, nor sets up a confrontational environment. The confrontation would start when a coach goes to a player or parent about a behavior that is not acceptable and asks them to stop. There has already been an announcement to this behavior and there is no excuse to say "oh, I didn't know" or "who are you to tell me what to do?". That's usually where the confrontation starts, not when the codes are handed out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez