Coaches getting hurt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Slightly different, but still on topic. Last year I was coaching 3rd at ASA 18 nationals. I moved a little closer in than where the coach's box is. My player turned on an inside pitch and pulled it straight at my face. My only reaction was to lift my arm in front of my face. result - broken forearm and 6 weeks in a cast.
[and my wife suggesting that it might not have been so bad if it just hit my face :) ]

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is a really good fielder, one of the 1st things I taught her when she started pitching was how to duck. Self preservation is a great thing.

I am a really good ducker, she laughs at me sometime which is OK.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was front tossing pre game in August. The wind was right in my face and I kept moving up closer since I was throwing lite flites they were moving all over the place. Last batter, youngest 10 yr old on the team, having trouble, I moved up to about 20 feet and she drills a line drive right into my throat. Thank God it was a lite flite, but it still hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. Since then I never front toss without a screen.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I wear a facemask now. I get made fun of but better to keep my teeth in my mouth. I was catching my fastest pitcher. 10 years old. She had a sweaty palm and did not wipe off and ball slipped out of the release early. I though I calculated the one hop right and the ball bounced under my glove and up into into my mouth. I thought I lost two teath. Lucky on that one. Now no matter how funny I look I wear equipment. I even had a parent post a funny pick ofme wearing a batting helmet while on the field during BP. Never can be too safe.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I wear a facemask now. I get made fun of but better to keep my teeth in my mouth. I was catching my fastest pitcher. 10 years old. She had a sweaty palm and did not wipe off and ball slipped out of the release early. I though I calculated the one hop right and the ball bounced under my glove and up into into my mouth. I thought I lost two teath. Lucky on that one. Now no matter how funny I look I wear equipment. I even had a parent post a funny pick ofme wearing a batting helmet while on the field during BP. Never can be too safe.
If only I could spell. :(

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The only balls I front toss without a screen are the TCB balls from about 15 to 20 feet. You will find the occasional 12 or 13 yo that will knock you off a bucket though!

Jan 20, 2010
TCB Ball and misc

1)I know first hand what a TCB can do to a coach pitching from 15-20 feet. Took it right in the eye. Lesson learned, it can happen anytime. Ouch!!!!

2) I have seen numerous times this fall and winter while doing batting practice with a machine. A ball has come right back through the hole on the net, coach's who do not wear gloves while feeding these machines have taken a few in the belly....Lucky there is some extra padding there.

3) Blood clot in the schin while doing pitching practice.

4) Broken fingers while playing 1st base for an 18U tryouts whith a girl throwing from third base and SS. Yes they really can throw hard.

5) No matter the age or how fast you think you are....you will get hit and when you do

6) We are all getting older and each time we get hit a little wiser I would hope. Now my torn rotator cuff can not be blammed on a girl, but it still hurts.

7) No matter what the age 10U, 12U, 14U, or whatever there will be a girl that has the skills and ability to hurt a coach. Be safe and have fun, but always be aware.

I could name more injuries I have seen happen but the point is...no matter how good you think you are, we are all getting older and slower, heck girls on my team can throw a ball harder than I can anymore.

Jun 18, 2010
He is also one of those idiots that plays C without a mask against live hitters, never have understood this at any level.

I recently started wearing a catcher's mask when my DD pitches. Like a cat with 9 lives, I have narrowly missed getting hit in the face several times. I have taken plenty off of the shins too. DD is throwing harder with more movement, and her mistakes are what I worry about most. We have one of the regulation home plates, the kind that are raised about 3/4 of an inch. She has thrown a few drop balls that have hit the home plate just right and they have come off of that plate just grazing my head and shoulder. I am sure had those hit me in the face, I'd be in a world of hurt.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I recently started wearing a catcher's mask when my DD pitches. Like a cat with 9 lives, I have narrowly missed getting hit in the face several times. I have taken plenty off of the shins too. DD is throwing harder with more movement, and her mistakes are what I worry about most. We have one of the regulation home plates, the kind that are raised about 3/4 of an inch. She has thrown a few drop balls that have hit the home plate just right and they have come off of that plate just grazing my head and shoulder. I am sure had those hit me in the face, I'd be in a world of hurt.

Make sure you're also wearing one of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi