Coaches, for you: Why or why not let the pitcher throw her movement pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
Please let me know what the parameters are before you allow the pitcher to throw her movement (14u to 16u).

Because if you say it is never ready, it never will be ready.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
By the time pitchers are in 14U or 16U they better be throwing some movement pitches or they are going to be hit hard against any decent hitting team (fast in/fast out one of my coaches says).

For the younger age groups (10U mainly or really new pitchers). I do the following:
  • Show me you can throw it reasonably consistently for a good pitch/strike in practice and you can throw it ahead in the count in a game.
  • Show me you can throw it reasonably consistently ahead in the count for a good pitch/strike then you can throw it behind in the count or first pitch.
  • Once you have done that, I consider it part of what you can bring to the game and it can be called whenever appropriate.

I am currently coaching a 10U TB team with 2 pitchers who are borderline '10A' pitchers (one is a 8U player playing up and one is a first year 10U - they'll both be excellent 10UA pitchers next year)

One throws 3 pitches in games (fast ball, drop, change) and one throws 4 (fast ball, drop, change and some weird spinning screwball she seems to throw naturally). They are young so sometimes the movement part goes awry or just doesn't happen but they can get all these pitches over for strikes so I let them throw them.

My opinion is if they are practicing and working on it, why not give it a go. If you told my DD she couldn't throw her pitches, she'd throw them anyway.

Mar 22, 2010
What if in 10U the changeup is more accurate than the fastball? Do you still make sure the fastball is consistent in practice before giving her game time or just have her throw mostly changeups?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What if in 10U the changeup is more accurate than the fastball? Do you still make sure the fastball is consistent in practice before giving her game time or just have her throw mostly changeups?

So far I have found that if a pitcher doesn't have reasonable technique to control of a fastball/speed pitch they have no real chance of control of other pitches. Also you can't really have a primary change up in 10U - that would just be a 'slow pitch'. All the pitching coaches here build the change up off good fastball/speed pitch technique.

Also for a change up to be truly effective there has to be a faster pitch to set it up so the other pitch better be pretty good as well.

The real question I would be 'Is it really a change up or is she just throwing slowly to get a strike?' At that age, even if they are throwing it differently I would suspect they are throwing it because they know it goes over the plate rather than because it is a good pitch.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Have her start pitching her new pitches when there are 2 outs and no one on base. Preferably have her keep the ball out of the strike zone, changeup should hit home plate. If she looks good let her throw it for strikes against weaker hitters. If she still looks good, let her loose.

You need to be very supportive. The 1st time a batter crushes her changeup she is going to think I should have throw my fastball.

Even if they do not throw it in the game they should throw it when they are warming up just so the batters know she has it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/bei...41-coach-wont-let-kid-do-what-she-can-do.html

I refer you to the above thread where I and many others discussed a similar issue. Most of what I've read here and heard from talking to many people is that if the girl has an outside pitching coach (or an internal one, but I can't imagine this would be an issue if that is the case) and can control her pitches she should be able to throw them.

But, even though my DD met the above requirement she was not allowed to throw those pitches the entire season. In the fall she tried another team and was allowed but because of the team she only was able to pitch in one game and then only for three innings.

The underlying trait of coaches that do not allow it is someone who feels the need to "control" everything. I can understand that at the college level, heck, maybe even High School. But when kids are supposed to be learning the game I don't get it.

Nov 1, 2009
A very respected pitching coach in Texas teaches fastball and change up until 12u. Then he will incorporate a drop and when your pitcher is consistently above 55mph he will bring in the other movement pitches.

Fact is most kids don't throw hard enough to have an effective movement pitch until they are quite a bit older. If the movement is gradual like it is with a slower pitch speed then it isn't hard to hit and the result is usually a better hitting angle. If you have a pitcher who throws two pitches well and one is a change up you have all you need to get through high school. The key is location and variable speeds.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/bei...41-coach-wont-let-kid-do-what-she-can-do.html

I refer you to the above thread where I and many others discussed a similar issue. Most of what I've read here and heard from talking to many people is that if the girl has an outside pitching coach (or an internal one, but I can't imagine this would be an issue if that is the case) and can control her pitches she should be able to throw them.

But, even though my DD met the above requirement she was not allowed to throw those pitches the entire season. In the fall she tried another team and was allowed but because of the team she only was able to pitch in one game and then only for three innings.

The underlying trait of coaches that do not allow it is someone who feels the need to "control" everything. I can understand that at the college level, heck, maybe even High School. But when kids are supposed to be learning the game I don't get it.

So are you saying that a girl without a pitching coach, but who can control her movement pitches would not be allowed to throw them?

Apr 13, 2010
So are you saying that a girl without a pitching coach, but who can control her movement pitches would not be allowed to throw them?

Personally I think anyone who can control them should be able to throw them. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Oct 5, 2011
OK Im going on a little rant here, First of all the main reason that coaches dont let them throw their so called movement pitches is because the majority of them DONT MOVE! Now dont get me wrong here I dont know your DD or her pitching level but I get so tired of parents telling me their DD can throw five different pitches!!!! I tell them when they can hit their spot consistently with their fastball we will talk about it. Give me a pitcher with a good fast ball that can hit her spots and a decent change up thats all I need to win.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd