Coached a T-Ball Practice Yesterday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
A young coach asked me if I could help him with his first t-ball practice yesterday. This was his first time ever coaching and I am always happy to help the next generation of coaches and players. A few random thoughts from the practice:

Our rec league lets 4 YO who will be league age 5 on Jan 1 2011 play in the fall season. With the rare exception 4 YO and some of the 5 and 6 YO don't know their left and right. Should have brought wrist bands. A simple direction drill resulted in a mass pile up. Looked more like a game of twister than a softball practice.

Using 12 inch dream seams and my DD's RocketTech for infield practice was not my best idea ever. Before any of you jump all over me for this realize I am just kidding, I would never use the RocketTech with this age group, the Demarini CF4 has much more pop and I used that instead.

Don't ever give a 4 YO a bat until you are absolutely, positively ready for them to swing or just wear a cup, your choice

Employ parent volunteers, keep the kids in groups of 2 to 3 max. Keep stations short and make sure all the kids in the group are doing something. Attention span is about 15 seconds with the age group.

Have some good games to end practice and use them as a reward. I used hit the teddy bear off the bucket from 20 paces and used this game as an incentive throughout practice. Very few problems as the kids really wanted to earn the game. Teddy bear on the other hand was not so happy, took a few good shots to the face.

Mar 23, 2010
I really just love the little kids coming into the game for the first time. It is a great time in those little ones lifes. Frustrating as it can be, it is truley a joy to be involved in

Jun 3, 2010
Both of my kids played two years each of T-Ball, it will make you pull your hair and 20 seconds later you are grinning form ear to ear over the most basic play made. I always tried to make it fun with games that had a tie in with something to do with baseball/softball.

Feb 9, 2009
my son's football coach for 5yo flag football bought different colored laces for their cleats...blue for the right cleat, grey for the left cleat. It worked like a charm!!

Apr 2, 2010
They are so adorable and enthusiastic. Some of my dh's best stories come from coaching t-ball. I loved the one about the little girl who had to go potty. He told her to go tell her mommy. She disappeared for about 5 minutes and came bounding back to my dh and excitedly announced, "I got to go pee in the grass!" Priceless!

I often think of coaching this age as herding cats. As soon as you get one in the box, 5 others are out running amok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi