Coach Scenario....to play or not.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
Play. Never teach your kids to quit for any reason.

Our actions always teach the kids a lesson. Positive and negative.

Jul 26, 2010
Any "coach" who considers depriving 12 year old kids the chance to play a championship game under the lights, after they worked all weekend to get there, needs to reconsider their priorities. Every team needs a good scorekeeper.

-W

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Going back to the original question. If this is an ASA qualifier, why is another game even scheduled? Any ASA TD with any level of experience does not schedule games beyond those that grant the berth. Look at all the Gold qualifiers, once you qualify, you go home.

If you're serious about Nationals, your goal is the berth, not some meaningless trophy.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sparky's advice is very good...

Two good teams can play a game very quickly. I bet GD and Sparky could have got the game finished in less than an hour...Skip the throw downs after the 3 pitch warmups, ask the ump for a big strike zone, tell the kids to swing the bat, tell everyone not to even think about whining, and keep after the kids to hustle in, and hustle out.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Interestingly, a recent coaching seminar I went to had several Pac-12 D1 coaches along with some others from the mid-west. Several of these coaches lamented the fact that today's players don't seem to quite have the same killer attitude that those in the past have had. Specifically, one coach talked about how it's all about exposure; getting a few innings in front of the right coach at the right time, showing off the skills, etc. The coach also talked about games in tournaments, and teams not playing to win...it instilled a different type of attitude.

Agree or not...the type of question I posed plays directly into this discussion.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Interestingly, a recent coaching seminar I went to had several Pac-12 D1 coaches along with some others from the mid-west. Several of these coaches lamented the fact that today's players don't seem to quite have the same killer attitude that those in the past have had. Specifically, one coach talked about how it's all about exposure; getting a few innings in front of the right coach at the right time, showing off the skills, etc. The coach also talked about games in tournaments, and teams not playing to win...it instilled a different type of attitude.

Agree or not...the type of question I posed plays directly into this discussion.

i respect your opinion, but I disagree. first off, I think just about every coach im every sport thinks folks were tougher in the "old days" so I don't buy that.

However, the fact is that at the level they are looking at - usually 16A or 18 gold, there are 2 types of tournaments - qualifiers where you play strictly to win, and exposures where the goal is to get girls seen. I have no problem knowing the difference between the two. If the college coaches didn't like that system then 350+ of them wouldn't have booked flights to Denver this week.

Jul 26, 2010
i respect your opinion, but I disagree. first off, I think just about every coach im every sport thinks folks were tougher in the "old days" so I don't buy that.

However, the fact is that at the level they are looking at - usually 16A or 18 gold, there are 2 types of tournaments - qualifiers where you play strictly to win, and exposures where the goal is to get girls seen. I have no problem knowing the difference between the two. If the college coaches didn't like that system then 350+ of them wouldn't have booked flights to Denver this week.

I believe it was Mike Candrea who made the comment TheRogue was referring to. He's made several statements in the monthly ASA newsletter along the same lines. His point is that college coaches need girls who know how to work as a team to win games. The game of softball before college, is all about getting the kid into college, and not about teaching them how to actually play and win the game once they get there.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Baseball and softball are about building a team around what you have or can get your hands on. You build your pitching around the catcher and vise versa. You build the infield around the outfield, vise versa. You try to balance a good offense around recruiting a good defense. If you can't do these you're not "coaching".

Some advice from 20 years ago that still stays true today. College coaches want to see you losing a game, want to see how you handle that situation. Do you fold, do you step it up? Can you control the team and the pressure? In college everyone has a role, you want a leader for pitching, hitting, defense and putting those pieces together are the key. You don't want just a chief, you want a team of warrior Indians.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Interestingly, a recent coaching seminar I went to had several Pac-12 D1 coaches along with some others from the mid-west. Several of these coaches lamented the fact that today's players don't seem to quite have the same killer attitude that those in the past have had. Specifically, one coach talked about how it's all about exposure; getting a few innings in front of the right coach at the right time, showing off the skills, etc.

They said that with a straight face? I appreciate that recruiting isn't easy, but if anyone could change the recruiting process it is obviously the recruiters themselves.

I remember Candrea complaining that kids would switch travel teams to get more playing time, because we all know how much good exposure you get by sitting on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild