Coach, or Alpha Male????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
How about 50% of HS coaches in america telling their players to not practice with their summer teams on the weekends during the HS season. I realize in some states it's a rules violation those don't count.

On a related note, Last week our HS coach told her struggling lead off hitter that she specifically was not allowed to go to her summer hitting coach to help to get out of her slump. Summer coach in question, in addition to coaching hundreds of Division I college athletes has coached girls who ended up on the Olympic team. Good call coach.

This is good life training. HS coaches are generally tied to public education, so essentially they're government workers. If a typical individual is expecting to get good advice from a state employee, it's a good tick against them for when we implement strict breeding regulations to slow the proliferation of sheepism.

The smart kid would nod and smile and do what she believed to be the best course of action.

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It is amazing, I just don't get it. If the rules don't specifically address practicing with TB Team and it is legal, why not allow it? I can understand playing in tournaments, but extra practice. Not allowed to see a hitting coach??? WTH?? Does this coach believe she can teach it better?

I have heard from members of my TB team that the reason for no practice with TB team is because of injuries. Well being in the PNW, there is WAY more chance of these players getting hurt with the HS team as they are outdoors raining or not vs the TB team is still using a Gym.

Apr 13, 2010
How about 50% of HS coaches in america telling their players to not practice with their summer teams on the weekends during the HS season. I realize in some states it's a rules violation those don't count.

On a related note, Last week our HS coach told her struggling lead off hitter that she specifically was not allowed to go to her summer hitting coach to help to get out of her slump. Summer coach in question, in addition to coaching hundreds of Division I college athletes has coached girls who ended up on the Olympic team. Good call coach.

That makes no sense.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
once you throw the change-up the first time to a batter in the game, now the opposing team has seen your change-up, so is it really that important to "hide" it from your opponent during the between innings warm-up?
I think it's always best to keep your cards close to the vest. watching a pitcher warming up it's easier for kids to get a read on her. in a game situation, the changeup might not be detected by the other players. at U10, I don't know that anyone except the coaches are paying close enough attention to pick up on this. Whenever possible, I don't want DD using her changeup until she gets thru the lineup once.

to the original question, the coach sounds like a dope. even coaches who specialize in hitting and pitching will want to see where the student is coming from before instructing and are VERY careful about addressing changes. the fact that the coach shows no respect to what the players have been taught and is only concerned with My way/highway indicates that he is all about himself.

Jan 15, 2009
This is good life training. HS coaches are generally tied to public education, so essentially they're government workers. If a typical individual is expecting to get good advice from a state employee, it's a good tick against them for when we implement strict breeding regulations to slow the proliferation of sheepism.

The smart kid would nod and smile and do what she believed to be the best course of action.

-W

I agree with you, my first question for her dad was "Why on earth did she ask permission? You don't need permission to seek whatever outside training you want on your free time, this isn't Russia :)"

May 25, 2010

images

applause.gif

Nov 1, 2009
The warm up is crazy but we do not and will not have our players playing with other teams. It is addressed before we start out workouts in the spring and it is non negotiable. We do have a pretty good schedule but do have off weekends but they are for the girls to do what normal teens do at that age.

Our team has had a parents code of conduct for as long as I have coached and it is a great tool to communicate what a player can expect from the team and what the team expects from the kid and their parents. We have several kids who have private lessons for one thing or another and we try not to contradict what they are being taught unless we see something really unusual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish