Coach, or Alpha Male????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
That's just too many tourneys, regardless. Money creates that not genuine concern for players' health and development.

You can always find justification for something you want to do out there somewhere.

I still say the coach is in charge of warm-ups. It is about all the pitchers, not one. End of story.

Feb 3, 2011
I still say the coach is in charge of warm-ups. It is about all the pitchers, not one. End of story.
As much as you may want them to be, the majority are not easily reprogrammable robots constructed on an assembly line. Your students might be, but there are plenty of 10yo players out there who are more than capable of figuring out what's going to get them ready to best help their teams.

Mar 13, 2010
but there are plenty of 10yo players out there who are more than capable of figuring out what's going to get them ready to best help their teams.

Uh, no. There really isn't. 10 year old's are still little children.

I would be asking the coach to talk to daughter's pitching coach and see what can be worked out.

Feb 3, 2011
Again, we have dads who want to be in charge (perhaps because of the money they spend) and have their kids defy the coach. Is this what we want to teach? Over an issue of a few warm up pitches on the mound?

What if my 10 year old player thinks it is a good idea to warm up her change up on the mound because someone in her life told her so or she came up with it herself?
What if she does? Are you saying those few warm-up pitches going to negatively impact the rest of her life? Or even the rest of her day?

I'm very much in favor of providing a structured environment for players of all ages, but within a basic structure, it's reasonable to allow some degree of individual creativity. They stretch and take grounders with the rest of the team, but look around and you'll see a lot of pitchers doing quite well doing warmup drills on their own with their catcher.

If a coach has to micromanage every single element of pregame, then that's a management issue. You're welcome to support that style of leadership, but not everyone is going to, nor should they. My DD's job is to go out there and help her team, not to prove to the coach that he's the man!

May 14, 2010
So I assume the pitchers are not allowed to do anything during warmups except 100% full speed pitches from regular distance since that is the only thing they will be doing during games, right?

I wish my only pressing duty during pregame was to micromanage how my pitchers warm up. But if I was doing that, who would tell the players what color gum we were chewing that game? Or what shoe they have to put on first? Chaos would reign!!!

Run away very fast. These are 10U girls. They have the rest of their lives to be subjected to egomaniac coaches.

Jan 31, 2011
Time for them to leave. The coach will not change & it sound like he's someone I dont want my DD around, so sorry chump, we are outta here!

Jan 31, 2011
Everyone can have their own opinion on this coach and how it relates to the player-coach relationship. Yes, if you sign up with a team, the coach is the boss. Period. However, I read comments about "no practice on your own", "cannot play for another team as a pick up player"...No way! Time to leave this guy. Most young pitchers usually have a different warm up routine. I also (like another coach said)let the pitchers "do there own thing" but I tell them when its time to grab a catcher and warm up for pitching. A good 10U TB coach, knowing the kid has been paying for a pitching coach, keeps them focused on the warm up process and ensures they have plenty of time to do it properly. Why the heck would I care if the kid wants to walk throughs or extra "Ks" or double arm circles or use weighted balls for more wrist snaps or whatever...As long as the kid is ready to go at game time, why get all controlling.

Why not show the other team your chancge up at that age? Every good pitcher has one & should be able to sell it...Let the other team know she can use it at will...lol.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Well, pitching coaches tell you to NEVER show the other team your change up. So that is an example of doing the wrong thing per PC opinion, just like some feel that walk-throughs should be done per PC opinion.

I hear what you are saying but once you throw the change-up the first time to a batter in the game, now the opposing team has seen your change-up, so is it really that important to "hide" it from your opponent during the between innings warm-up? I could even see where a pitcher might want to show several different pitches while warming up in the circle that they may or may not use in the game to keep the other team's batters guessing as to if and when they might see it?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
I guess that coach is a great guy then... "The parent went on to tell me that this TB coach is very strict about when/how much the girls can throw or even just play catch, and he doesn't want them doing it outside his practice times; he has a system and wants them to stick to it. He also said absolutely no being a pickup player with other teams, even though this team will only play about 7 tournaments total between April 1 and first of August."

Sounds like a coach we all should support? Not me.

Jan 15, 2009
WOW! Not sure I've ever heard of a coach telling girls not to practice. How interesting.

We should also ban all hitting of tees, soft toss for warmups as well after all they don't do that in the game. ;)

How about 50% of HS coaches in america telling their players to not practice with their summer teams on the weekends during the HS season. I realize in some states it's a rules violation those don't count.

On a related note, Last week our HS coach told her struggling lead off hitter that she specifically was not allowed to go to her summer hitting coach to help to get out of her slump. Summer coach in question, in addition to coaching hundreds of Division I college athletes has coached girls who ended up on the Olympic team. Good call coach.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish