closing after the pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
So in my opinion, the most important thing a pitcher needs to do after they release the ball is be in a position to react to protect themselves from the screaming line drive back at them, and I don't think squaring up late to the hitter is the greatest answer. Keep the glove arm forward and be ready to react. I have a tendency to put the pitchers safety in front of making the mystical play.

This what I teach my students. What I tell them is their first job is to be a pitcher. The second job is to be a fielder. They can't do both at the same time. They need to finish being a pitcher first.

What I tell them on a come-backer is they DO NOT have to catch it. They need to be in the position to protect themselves to be able to throw the next pitch.

Another thing I tell my students to try and help give them a fraction of a second more time. What I will ask them is "Who is the first person to know you've made a mistake with the pitch?" Meaning left a pitch really fat over the middle of the plate. Most answer "I am." Then I tell them if they do that to expect the ball to be coming back at them and start to get ready for it BEFORE the hitter swings. It may only give them a fraction of a second more, but that fraction can make the difference between being hurt or protecting themselves.

Mar 14, 2016
Great thread. My wife and I are JV. coach's my daughter is one of our pitchers. We have had other coach's tell us she needs to close in order to get the speed and accuracy of the pitch. I have disagreed with by watching many of the pros and I don't seem to see them ever close. I have to agree I think it just clouds the pitcher with to much info that really is not necessary to make a good pitch. Thanks for the great info.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I agree with Doug. And another thing that I notice is that when girls are told to "square up after the pitch" they don't have good front side resistance because they tend to release and square up at the same time...instead of squaring up after the pitch....
My daughter likes to walk out of her pitch when she tries to square up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd