Clock management...what would you have done?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I understand the $ and the difficulty in scheduling, and would be happy to pay more for more time (I'm probably in the minority there). I think 90 min is a fair time, but I have coached in many that have 65-70 min game times. I just don't think thats enough time.

I would have an issue with 65 minute games. That's pretty ridiculous. The "standard" in our area (for friendlies) is 1:20 drop-dead. The TCS tournament we played last weekend was 1:30 no-new.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
The tournament DD is in for this weekend had to switch all of the games to 1:10 to make up for 2 days of cancelled games. It stinks but if it lets us finish the tournament it's fine.

Game last week we were down a run in the 6th inning with 3 minutes left. Most games only go 6 innings so I think the other team was pissed that we still got one more inning to try to come back - luckily they didn't try to run out the clock. Home team and we were able to get 2 runs to get the win. But if we had only played 1:10, we might not have been so lucky :/

Apr 12, 2015
I would have an issue with 65 minute games. That's pretty ridiculous. The "standard" in our area (for friendlies) is 1:20 drop-dead. The TCS tournament we played last weekend was 1:30 no-new.

Our standard here is 55 minute drop dead in pool, 75 minute finish the inning in bracket play. 55 minutes is fast, but we are also playing in 110 degree + heat, so there aren't many complaints.

May 23, 2015
Define drop dead? If the visitor is up and time runs out that's it?

I don't do clock management at all. Give me my fair number of chances and you take yours. Let's see who wins

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
The tournament DD is in for this weekend had to switch all of the games to 1:10 to make up for 2 days of cancelled games. It stinks but if it lets us finish the tournament it's fine.

Game last week we were down a run in the 6th inning with 3 minutes left. Most games only go 6 innings so I think the other team was pissed that we still got one more inning to try to come back - luckily they didn't try to run out the clock. Home team and we were able to get 2 runs to get the win. But if we had only played 1:10, we might not have been so lucky :/

Actually found out the schedule accounted for a 1:10 gap but games were actually 1:00! Lots of games went over due to being tied and having to go longer. Some of the better teams had the lowest scores we've seen all season. Our last game we only won 3-2 and the game after us, the score was 1-0. Pitching and defense are pretty good but that's still really low for most of these teams. We managed 4 innings but we were already at 30 min left in the bottom of the 1st!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Define drop dead? If the visitor is up and time runs out that's it?

Yep. Some umps will let the at-bat finish, some will call it in the middle of an at-bat.

If visitor is batting when time expires, the score will revert to the last completed inning. If home is batting, but doesn't complete the inning, and they have not tied or taken the lead, the score will revert to the last completed inning. If the home team is batting, and they have taken the lead during the bottom half of the inning, the score will stand as it is when time expires.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Here was my situation this weekend, we were the visitors, up 1 run with 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd, and about 2 minutes left on the clock (1:20 no new). Would you kill the clock so if you get that last out the game is over?

I let it play out and we got the out but there was 10 seconds left so we had to play another inning. We ended up losing.

I appreciate the feedback.

I hate clock management. But I'm probably being "that guy" and making a pitching change.

Jun 11, 2013
I hate clock management. But I'm probably being "that guy" and making a pitching change.

While I don't like a coach that does it, I don't have a huge problem as long as he just owns up to it when he is called on it. It just irritates me when they
act like they are just brilliant tacticians for doing it. I love to win games, but it's so much more enjoyable to score on a walk-off run or make the last
out versus and ump yell time as you are ready to hit.

One thing that I can't believe are how many drop dead games I hear about. We have never played in one outside of a friendly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi