Choosing a travel team for players who want to play in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That is what I was trying to say.... I am not looking for a coach to do everything thing, just open the door. Going to a camp when with 200 players there and some already committed recruits. I have found that the coaches do not pay much attention to the ones they have no back ground on before they get there. I guess what I am asking is how do you get them to acknowledge you when they never open YOUR emails or you can’t speak to them at tournaments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a travel coach part of my responsibility is educating the players and their families about the process. Part of that is explaining the contact rules and restrictions. Depending on the age of your DD and the level of the school she is reaching out to (D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JuCo), each has different rules they need to follow. Do you know for sure that the email was not read? Or is it possible that the coach is not permitted to contact your DD?

In my opinion, camps are very important in the process. It is definitely possible for a player to be 'found' at a showcase event. But depending on the size of that event, there could be hundreds of other players there that DD is competing with for eyes. And those coaches more than likely already have targeted recruits at the event. Recruiting videos are also an important tool, but coaches receives dozens, hundreds, or more of these depending on the school. I would hate to even guess how many emails or videos Tim Walton receives each week. But when you are attending a camp, you are in their environment. It gives the player a great opportunity to interact with the coach and make a lasting impression. Then when that coach is at a showcase, he/she already knows who your DD is and is more likely to take some extra time watching her.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
As a travel coach part of my responsibility is educating the players and their families about the process. Part of that is explaining the contact rules and restrictions. Depending on the age of your DD and the level of the school she is reaching out to (D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JuCo), each has different rules they need to follow. Do you know for sure that the email was not read? Or is it possible that the coach is not permitted to contact your DD?

In my opinion, camps are very important in the process. It is definitely possible for a player to be 'found' at a showcase event. But depending on the size of that event, there could be hundreds of other players there that DD is competing with for eyes. And those coaches more than likely already have targeted recruits at the event. Recruiting videos are also an important tool, but coaches receives dozens, hundreds, or more of these depending on the school. I would hate to even guess how many emails or videos Tim Walton receives each week. But when you are attending a camp, you are in their environment. It gives the player a great opportunity to interact with the coach and make a lasting impression. Then when that coach is at a showcase, he/she already knows who your DD is and is more likely to take some extra time watching her.

No, I honestly have no idea. The true be told these schools may have already seen her on the field and didn't like what they saw, I really have no idea. Since DD is a Freshman to me this is where the coach comes into play, try to help the athlete find out where she stands with these certain schools that she is interested in. I may be crazy but I do not think that is too much to ask.

I am hoping to have one of DD very soon, for quite a while now I kind of had the impression that skills videos weren't very useful. I have now changed my opinion on the matter, due to situations that I have been writing about for the last two days. Having a video attached to those emails you sent may have be what is needed to spark their interest for them to actually show up.

We have been doing our due diligence and DD has a few visits and a camp coming up and has desires to attend others as well.

Feb 3, 2016
1. If a organization says they get players to college, ask them:

How many player's came or originated from your organization?

How many out of state players did you send to college?

Show me the LOI from girls from your organization.

You might be surprised that several organizations will claim the same college recruits. The girls could be on several rosters on the same year. Did the all have a hand in getting this girl to college.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jun 29, 2013
Most of the websites that I see tell you where their kids are signing. If their signing at Pac 12 schools, or (less likely out here) SEC, you will see it. A lot thought are touting DIII schools that I know don't offer scholarships, or Jr. Colleges, or NAIA schools that I haven't heard of before. If that is what the kids really want I'm happy for them, but I do question whether some of the parents know what their signing up for.

Feb 15, 2016
You might be surprised that several organizations will claim the same college recruits. The girls could be on several rosters on the same year. Did the all have a hand in getting this girl to college.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If a player does not stay with the same TB team for their whole time it is common to see multiple teams claiming the same player. The team they were on when they got the offer claims them and the team they were on when they signed their LOI claims them as well. With kids "committing" at 14U it is common for them to play for multiple teams during the recruiting process. If the TB coaches don't help in the recruiting process I find it kind of amusing that they "claim" recruits. Great job coaching some girls and putting a good team together to go play in some showcases, but how did your organization get that player a college scholarship?

The TB head coach has a role in it all but the player still has to take the lead. If a TB coach has a relationship with a college coach, they can be very helpful and influential. On the other hand, some TB coaches just want to get their players committed so they can advertise it on their website. They don't care about your bottom line as a parent. That 50% scholarship to a school four states away could cost you a lot more than a 25% scholarship to a school where you get in-state tuition.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Why do some players get claimed by more than one org? Here is one reason:

Some tb org heads have developed a “reverse pipeline”. They have good relationships with college coaches. They hear about players that large college programs have noticed directly from the colleges. They also target players who already verballed or are likely about to verbal. They then go out and poach that player any way they can and they can then claim that commit as their own. They have nothing invested in that player.

This approach is similar to the corporate “head hunter” industry where companies hire Consultants to hire previously developed employees away from their current companies. This is quite common in the I.T. industry. Some might call this unethical or unsavory but it is the way of the world. It’s how the best companies are built. It’s how the best teams are built.

The best tb orgs are doing both these days. Trying to grab and develop young talent as well as poaching any older talent they can. Often, these earnest sounding fellows speak out of both sides of their mouths, decrying the insanity of the early recruiting while using the insanity of early recruiting to convince parents of the necessity to “come to the dark side, we have cookies”. All the while, these tb directors are chumming the water, creating the very feeding frenzy that they so solemnly decry.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
A lot thought are touting DIII schools that I know don't offer scholarships, or Jr. Colleges, or NAIA schools that I haven't heard of before. If that is what the kids really want I'm happy for them, but I do question whether some of the parents know what their signing up for.
A very large number of student-athletes do wish to continue their playing careers at smaller schools. Why question the parents who want to support that? The big flagship schools may be sexy and popular, but they aren't a good fit for everyone.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just like anything else, there is a certain amount of "buyer beware" associated with picking a travel team. Regardless if the decision involves choosing a travel team, buying a car, or selecting a vacation resort, doing some research and developing some realistic expectations can often be helpful.

Jun 29, 2013
A very large number of student-athletes do wish to continue their playing careers at smaller schools. Why question the parents who want to support that? The big flagship schools may be sexy and popular, but they aren't a good fit for everyone.

I could have been more clear and apologize for that. I question whether they are choosing the right travel team if they're goal is to play college softball and they're willing to spend $80,000 to play several years of competitive softball just to get a 25% scholarship for a school that will still cost you over $40k per year, and not necessarily help your DD get a degree that will lead to a good career. That is more for the NAIA schools. For the DIII, I know a lot of people who played sports and/or attended the Little Ivy's (New England schools primarily). I know that none of them received an athletic scholarship to play for any of them, and that any who received an academic scholarship or grant had to maintain their grades to keep them. I also don't know any who got into one of these schools based solely on their athletic abilities. Sports were something they did at school, and that was true for football, baseball, hockey, track, basketball, etc. So, when I see travel teams saying their kids "signed" with a D III school I know that isn't really true and I question whether people really believe these claims.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
I could have been more clear and apologize for that. I question whether they are choosing the right travel team if they're goal is to play college softball and they're willing to spend $80,000 to play several years of competitive softball just to get a 25% scholarship for a school that will still cost you over $40k per year, and not necessarily help your DD get a degree that will lead to a good career. That is more for the NAIA schools. For the DIII, I know a lot of people who played sports and/or attended the Little Ivy's (New England schools primarily). I know that none of them received an athletic scholarship to play for any of them, and that any who received an academic scholarship or grant had to maintain their grades to keep them. I also don't know any who got into one of these schools based solely on their athletic abilities. Sports were something they did at school, and that was true for football, baseball, hockey, track, basketball, etc. So, when I see travel teams saying their kids "signed" with a D III school I know that isn't really true and I question whether people really believe these claims.

I agree, why not save some/most of that money for college tuition. There is also a lot more money for academics, even at the Power 5, than there is for athletics.
D3 isn't allowed to give athletic money but they do have academic money. Nothing wrong with getting that money either and nothing wrong with having to maintain their grades... how many of even the power 5 players will be making a living through softball?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00