choice of pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Starsnuffer is OK for perhaps travel ball, but isn't going to work in college. In college ball, pitchers face the same batters over and over again. There really aren't any secrets or surprises.

The batters are aware of their own strengths and weaknesses. So, a pitcher can't say "oh, she can't hit the inside pitch, so I'll throw her a dozen screwballs." The batter has already found a way to compensate for it.

The most important single factor is the umpire's strike zone and coming up with a way to exploit the zone. The next most important factor is determining what pitches the batter likes and what pitches she doesn't like.

May 18, 2009
I like when my daughter throws a high fast ball. Get's them swinging every time. If it's hit it's a pop up. Most times the girls swing to late. It's already in the glove. Love it like that. The risk is a miss and extra bases given up.

Jul 26, 2010
Sluggers, that's really good insight. When your daughter played D1 ball, did she watch/study video of batters and such to try to figure out their weaknesses, or did she go with what was working that day? I know a lot of MLB pitchers have different strategies for this, some perhaps overstudied, some just "go with their gut". I'd imagine that college ball is somewhere in between?

I think that at lower levels, at least the TB that I'm familiar with, there's an overemphasis on getting that "strike out" rather then getting an "out". I tend to coach my catchers and pitchers to force the play and get the out, rather then try to fool every batter that steps into the box. . .. then again, the riseball isn't what it used to be with the strike zone changes, so we have to rely on the drop and other breaking pitches much more.

-W

Aug 2, 2008
When I call pitches, sometimes I get real proud of myself for taking the bats out of the other teams hitters' hands. Then I remember I just outsmarted a 14 year old and it gives me some perspective.
Ken

Thats the funniest thing I have read in a while, only I am outsmarting 11 and 12 yo's. Man I am feeling low:)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pitch Call Chart link

Great start!

Ken's response is more along the lines of what i was looking to talk about.

For lack of a better term.....practical application.
. K

K - click this link
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/1821-pitch-call-chart.html

to an older thread here on DFP that includes another link to a "pitch call chart" that gives an idea of what pitches to throw in different situations - this may be more what you're looking for.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Starsnuffer is OK for perhaps travel ball, but isn't going to work in college. In college ball, pitchers face the same batters over and over again. There really aren't any secrets or surprises.

The batters are aware of their own strengths and weaknesses. So, a pitcher can't say "oh, she can't hit the inside pitch, so I'll throw her a dozen screwballs." The batter has already found a way to compensate for it.

The most important single factor is the umpire's strike zone and coming up with a way to exploit the zone. The next most important factor is determining what pitches the batter likes and what pitches she doesn't like.

Sluggers - Not in complete agreement w/ you here. In college, P and hitters face each other for a max of 4 years. In MLB baseball, that head-to-head battle might extend over 10+ years. While the ump's strike zone that day must be taken into consideration, IMO its more of a cat and mouse game than just throwing pitches that the batter doesn't "like" or doesn't hit as well. Its more about varying the sequence, location, and speed i.e., not being predictable. We all know that any MLBer can hit a FB if they know its coming, yet how come they swing and miss sometimes, or, even take one for a called 3rd strike? IMO, hitting is about timing the pitcher, and pitching is about disrupting the hitter's timing. With the difference between a HR and a pop out/flyout being an 1/8 to 1/4 inch the winner of the battle is the one who makes the best adjustment.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
starsnuffer:
did she go with what was working that day?

The answer is, of course, "what was working that day".

Determining what works requires (a) making an honest appraisal of the speed, accuracy and movement of the pitches,
(b) determining the strike zone of the umpire, and (c) knowing what the batters are likely to swing at.

In MLB baseball, that head-to-head battle might extend over 10+ years.

The point is that batters and pitchers within the conference are very familiar with each other. Information is shared between teams about the "other teams".

Unlike travel ball, the college coach already knows how fast the other pitcher throws and what pitches she has. Similarly, the college coach knows which batters are dangerous and which ones aren't. For the dangerous batters on the other team, she will have some knowledge about what each batter can and can't do.

While the ump's strike zone that day must be taken into consideration, IMO its more of a cat and mouse game than just throwing pitches that the batter doesn't "like" or doesn't hit as well

Agreed...but it starts by knowing what pitches the batter wants to hit. If the pitcher knows that, then she knows what the batter is looking for.

Its more about varying the sequence, location, and speed i.e., not being predictable.

The umpire tells the pitcher how predictable she has to be. It would be great if umpires called the official strike zone--but, I've never seen an umpire yet who called the official strike zone.

E.g., an umpire with a football shaped strike zone requires different pitches than an umpire with a fan shaped strike zone.

Additionally, the pitcher has to throw lots of strikes.

IMO, hitting is about timing the pitcher, and pitching is about disrupting the hitter's timing.

These days, with the improved hitting of most players, pitching is about making the batter swing at pitches she can't handle.

The batter has to get the timing and location of the pitch correct in order to hit the ball.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish