Child injured at baseball tournament, dies.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not too far from where I live. Kiss your babies everyday.................

Child injured at baseball tournament pronounced dead

TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) -- A 10-year-old Byhalia boy has died after a fallen tree limb hit him in the head during a baseball tournament.

Tupelo Parks and Recreation Director Alex Farned said players were evacuating the field at Ballard Park during a storm when the tree limb snapped and hit the boy in the back of the head.

The accident happened around 6 p.m on Saturday.

Emergency personnel were called to the scene. He was taken to North Mississippi Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

"The city of Tupelo asks for your thoughts and prayers during this time," said Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton.

The tournament has been cancelled.

Dec 20, 2012
This is horrible! Why wait til the storm is right on top of you to evacuate the park? Without knowing all the details it seems like this could have been avoided. Hope his family is doing alright/

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is horrible! Why wait til the storm is right on top of you to evacuate the park? Without knowing all the details it seems like this could have been avoided. Hope his family is doing alright/

You are right, you don't know all the details.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

We had that same storm pass us maybe an hour or so before it went through that area. From a calm breeze, it started blowing 40-50 mph with the snap of your fingers, no lightning no rain, just wind. I would assume that's what hit them all of the sudden, high winds, that knocked the limb down.

Jun 18, 2013
I live in the region too. Winds can kick up here at the drop of a hat and unless there is lightning you will never see an evacuation without the winds getting up to some pretty nasty levels. It just happens too fast for there to be much warning. This weekend was crazy hot, so everyone was finding shade at tournaments wherever they could. My DW and I actually talked about how a few families had gathered up under the only trees that were inside the park where we were playing Saturday and set up while we were driving out since we had a few hours. Terrible tragedy, but I would have been right there with them hanging out under the tree if I was at the same park.

Jun 12, 2015
I remember a game we played once where this storm blew in insanely fast. It was crazy. We had just gotten into our car when the hail started. Very sad what happened here. Could easily have happened to us that day. Sometimes they move faster than you think.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

My wife and I were golfing one clear storm free day when a 60 foot free just fell over. No reason no warning it just fell (and yes you could hear it). Oddest thing I ever saw. Sometimes rain and wind happen and sometimes without warning trees or parts of trees fall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck