Child injured at baseball tournament, dies.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Walking to the train early one morning I stopped to tie my shoe. As I stood up a tree branch over a foot in diameter broke off a tree and fell into the street. Had I not stopped the likelihood I would of been struck was very high. I would of had no warning at all, just snap. Because of the size of the limb a limb jutting from the main part could of been enough to kill me. I had always wondered how people could get killed by a falling tree. Well there you go.

Very sad for the family and his teammates. RIP young man.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
DD was playing in a town just up the road. It went from calm and sun shinning, to dark and real high winds in a matter of seconds. Not much rain at all and no lightening. Luckily for us, there were no trees around.

I have friends that have sons on that team, and no one has mentioned any negligence. It was just a freak accident.

Please pray for the family and for his teammates. They are very traumatized at this point.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is horrible! Why wait til the storm is right on top of you to evacuate the park? Without knowing all the details it seems like this could have been avoided. Hope his family is doing alright/

so what were the details that kept this from being avoided??

This...

We had that same storm pass us maybe an hour or so before it went through that area. From a calm breeze, it started blowing 40-50 mph with the snap of your fingers, no lightning no rain, just wind. I would assume that's what hit them all of the sudden, high winds, that knocked the limb down.

And this...

I live in the region too. Winds can kick up here at the drop of a hat and unless there is lightning you will never see an evacuation without the winds getting up to some pretty nasty levels. It just happens too fast for there to be much warning. This weekend was crazy hot, so everyone was finding shade at tournaments wherever they could. My DW and I actually talked about how a few families had gathered up under the only trees that were inside the park where we were playing Saturday and set up while we were driving out since we had a few hours. Terrible tragedy, but I would have been right there with them hanging out under the tree if I was at the same park.

My thoughts go out to the family. :(

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Heartbreaking. Sounds like a freak accident that might have happened anywhere. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family. That's just devastating.

Dec 20, 2012
This...

And this...

My thoughts go out to the family. :(

Then you gave the reason how it could have been. The storm passed Goingdeep an hour earlier. Don't tell me nobody had a clue.We live in Oklahoma and have our fair share of this kind of weather. If there is a system in the state half the people at the park are on the phone keeping track. A freak branch falling is one thing but hanging around the park when there is a KNOWN front with 60mph winds coming is irresponsible.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Then you gave the reason how it could have been. The storm passed Goingdeep an hour earlier. Don't tell me nobody had a clue.We live in Oklahoma and have our fair share of this kind of weather. If there is a system in the state half the people at the park are on the phone keeping track. A freak branch falling is one thing but hanging around the park when there is a KNOWN front with 60mph winds coming is irresponsible.

I was 15 miles from this field as the crow flies. I can tell you with 1st hand knowledge that there was NOTHING on the radar showing this cell. Goingdeep may have been in another cell, as hes north of this area (I believe) and I don't think the storm was traveling north. The sky was clear as a bell and within 5 minutes, we had high wind.

It's a tragic situation, but to try and place blame afterwards isn't warranted, imo. In this area, storms can pop up. If we stopped every game because something MAY pop up, we might as well cancel all games. Again, I was looking at the radar 20 minutes before this cell came through, because there was a cell coming that got there an hour later. This cell was not on the radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd