Cheating Stat keepers.. :mad:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Would generally agree, however what about Gatorade Player of the Year awards as well as many D1 rosters bio lists high school accomplishments? It would seem that HS stats are not completely meaningless, but I could be wrong?
Jake was a National High School Player of the year. Meant nothing in NJCAA. Was NJCAA pitcher of the year. Meant nothing in the SEC. The bios on the school websites are written by the marketing department. Interesting triva to spur interest.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I guess it bugs me because I'm a stats junkie. I have kept book since I was about 7 years old and I used to keep book for the school with the bogus stats when I was a student. The coach at the time actually used the stats to improve the line up and make coaching decisions. How can the current coach use the stats if you've got someone hitting .667 with 2 doubles, they sound pretty good, but in actuality they've just hit two pop up and their average should be .000.

I guess on the bright side, when my DD is old enough to play for them maybe she'll be the first player to bat over 1.000. :p

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
HS scorekeeper would adjust the book so her dd got credit for RBI she didn't drive in. Like if the batter before her dd drove in 2 and then her dd got a hit at least 1 of those RBI would be in the book for her dd. This was a couple of years before my dd played for this school

Mar 24, 2014
Garbage in, garbage out. HS, travel, and college IME. Safe to say that at least 90% of those keeping an "official" score book would not pass an official scoring test.

Exactly. Watch the games then read the box score....it's like taking an ice pick to the temple!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I pretty much agree with everyone so I'm not quoting anyone :D
Our HS coach massages the stats and it pisses me off. the stats don't mean so much except to the kid who's record you are keeping track of.

a friend of mine became the HS AC and he told me the HC is always telling the coach with the book what to write on anything close or on a favorite kid who's not performing well- FC s and E's become hits, etc. DD's ERA goes up because he likes the 3B who booted at least 2 balls per game but wouldn't score them errors because they were hard hit balls. really?? through the legs is not an error in Varsity? another pitcher threw a "no-hitter" in her first varsity start-except that there was at least one hit because DD fielded it in CF and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the only one, but everyone forgot about the 1st inning..

last night we played a crappy team and pop flies to the OF were becoming triples. a lot of batting averages will go up and a lot of crappy hitters are going to look like real hitters.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2015
If you are not going to attempt to keep them right, then why bother to keep them at all?

On DD#2 HS team, the "manager" (student) keeps the stats... Everything seems to be scored a hit regardless... Hey, its great for everyone's batting average but it kills the pitcher in the stats... I do not think it is intentional on the student's part but from what I have seen, the stats are not even close...

May 13, 2012
If you are not going to attempt to keep them right, then why bother to keep them at all?.

See the illegal pitching threads. "If they (umps) aren't going to enforce the rules then why have them". Stats, rules, are only as good as they are applied, kept, enforced, or understood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi