Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I won an argument with you..woohoo!! Going to go get myself a coffee and celebrate!! 😝
SOOO FUNNY
Congratulations wishing you more continued success! 🥳

And you got a compliment that it seems you've handled well 😁
Oct, 18th, 2022

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
🤮

I bring my own from home but on special occasions like this (and during practice where I am waiting 3 hours in the car) I will buy..
To relate coffee to softball conversation when I was coaching at Long Beach State I had a job graveyard shift as a security guard.
( so I could afford cost of living to be able to coach because coaching paid so little)
Where, on a job site sitting in a mobile office, used to make sure there was a full pot of coffee when the contractors got to the site. The foreman recognized fresh coffee when he got there and I ended up getting a raise from my security company.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Late coming to this but the fact that the coach is saying how they were able to execute the play just makes me angry. DD had a hit this season where it should have been a double - but she felt herself not touch 1st base so went back to touch it and by then they had the ball in. I can't believe any girl would knowingly cheat this way. Oh well no one found out, so it's okay.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I just started reading this and didnt read every post but I only saw one person bring up an out of the baseline call (Rad). Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think the baserunner is way out of the baseline and could be called by
the ump without needing an appeal for anything other infraction...yes or no? I know runners can make their own line within reason, but this is not within reason.
So why could the ump not call the runner out for being out of the baseline?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I just started reading this and didnt read every post but I only saw one person bring up an out of the baseline call (Rad). Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think the baserunner is way out of the baseline and could be called by
the ump without needing an appeal for anything other infraction...yes or no? I know runners can make their own line within reason, but this is not within reason.
So why could the ump not call the runner out for being out of the baseline?

This is only called when there is a tag attempt on the runner. "The runner is out when: the runner runs more than 3 feet from the base bath to avoid being touched by the ball in the hand or the glove of a fielder". Since this runner's base bath is not being changed to avoid a tag attempt (the ball is on the other side of the field, she's not running around a tag), can't make that call.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
This is only called when there is a tag attempt on the runner. "The runner is out when: the runner runs more than 3 feet from the base bath to avoid being touched by the ball in the hand or the glove of a fielder". Since this runner's base bath is not being changed to avoid a tag attempt (the ball is on the other side of the field, she's not running around a tag), can't make that call.
Dang it...completely forgot about the "tag attempt" or "throw to first base" issue with that rule.
Trying like heck to think of something the ump could call...hahaha

Jan 25, 2022
Cheating ? = Yes.
Aggressive base running ? = No - bad base running.
Heads up use of the rules ? = No - flagrant display of what cheating looks like.

Many years ago while practicing with a travel team a member of a local college team ( Jerry Jerry Hallelujah ) stopped by and asked if she could help ... She was a slapper and worked with our youngsters on that ... During that afternoon she told us about a similar play that was being taught to them by their coach ( no longer there ) ... It involved missing second base intentionally. We had to explain afterwards to our young group of sponges all the reasons why this was wrong.
I love how the cheer in parenthesis and me looking at your location told me exactly what school you were referring to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1