Charged timeout? Or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
ASA rules.

Catcher calls time to talk with pitcher. Girls on base leave their base to talk with the offensive coach. Is this considered a charged timeout to the defense? I was told that the baserunners had to stay put or else it was considered a defensive timeout.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
ASA rules.

Catcher calls time to talk with pitcher. Girls on base leave their base to talk with the offensive coach. Is this considered a charged timeout to the defense? I was told that the baserunners had to stay put or else it was considered a defensive timeout.

A defensive conference is charged only if someone comes out of the dugout to deliver a message that delays the game. The catcher requesting time to go talk to the pitcher does not qualify. Baserunners may leave their bases to speak with their coaches while this is happening in ASA and HS. NCAA does not allow the baserunners to leave the vicinity of their base if only the defensive players are talking.

Mar 2, 2013
A defensive conference is charged only if someone comes out of the dugout to deliver a message that delays the game. The catcher requesting time to go talk to the pitcher does not qualify. Baserunners may leave their bases to speak with their coaches while this is happening in ASA and HS. NCAA does not allow the baserunners to leave the vicinity of their base if only the defensive players are talking.

There are other times when a defensive conference can be charged, such as a player going over to the dugout. I would agree with the rest of the assessment though.

May 30, 2011
I actually think it would be an offensive timeout if they left the base to consult with their coach.

Speaking ASA and NFHS... Can't charge the offense with a conference when time was requested by the defense. However when defense is ready to go (or I tell them it's time to go) then if offense is not ready to play they can then be charged with an offensive conference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks