Changeups?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
How many different kinds of changeups are thrown?

Which is the best one to teach young pitchers who have yet to learn a second pitch?

Which is used most by advanced pitchers, and why?

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009
How many different kinds of changeups are thrown?

Two: 1=effective and 2=ineffective.

Which is the best one to teach young pitchers who have yet to learn a second pitch?

Number 1 above. How you accomplish this has much to do with the particular kid, her hand size, etc. There are tons of ways to throw a changeup. Some swear by this one or that one, but the reality is that you have to figure out which one works for the kid. For it to be effective it has to look like she is bringing the heat. She also needs to have the ability to throw it for a strike and here is where lots of practice and some experimentation comes in. If she can't throw it on any count with bases loaded, then she really doesn't have a changeup.

Which is used most by advanced pitchers, and why?

The more advanced pitchers throw #1 above more often than not.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
There is not one way to throw a change up. There are coaches who swear by the flip change. Personally, I think any way you can make the pitch look exactly like a FB and it has reduced speed, you will be effective. When my DD was just learning, we simply palmed the ball and locked her wrist. As she gained better command, we wanted to add a little to it for movement. She now tucks her forefinger for a sort of knucle effect. This added some good dropping action to the ball. Best suggestion is to play around with grips and different pitches until you find one that works best for your DD. I think learning how to "sell" the change up, was even more improtant than how she grips it. It has to make the batter think FB.

Sep 3, 2009
There is not one way to throw a change up. There are coaches who swear by the flip change. Personally, I think any way you can make the pitch look exactly like a FB and it has reduced speed, you will be effective. When my DD was just learning, we simply palmed the ball and locked her wrist. As she gained better command, we wanted to add a little to it for movement. She now tucks her forefinger for a sort of knucle effect. This added some good dropping action to the ball. Best suggestion is to play around with grips and different pitches until you find one that works best for your DD. I think learning how to "sell" the change up, was even more improtant than how she grips it. It has to make the batter think FB.

Interesting. My daughter has struggled with the flip change. All she throws in games is a basic fastball which runs about 42 on average. In our area which isn't a hotbed of elite softball that speed is highly effective at 10U (she just moved up to 12u for this fall rec season) as long as she is throwing strikes, which she does most of time but occasionally still struggles with control.

I've had her try holding the ball deeper in the palm knowing baseball pitchers who sometimes do the same with a changeup and she seems to have a much easier time with that, although the decrease in velocity from the straight fastball is not enough. Will have to tell her to try locking the wrist as well, hadn't thought of that.

Sep 3, 2009
Number 1 above. How you accomplish this has much to do with the particular kid, her hand size, etc. There are tons of ways to throw a changeup. Some swear by this one or that one, but the reality is that you have to figure out which one works for the kid. For it to be effective it has to look like she is bringing the heat. She also needs to have the ability to throw it for a strike and here is where lots of practice and some experimentation comes in. If she can't throw it on any count with bases loaded, then she really doesn't have a changeup.

Well, that's what I'd like to hear. Mind sharing some?

Thanks! Tom

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There are so many ways, that I don't even know all of the correct names. I, personally, throw the back hand. The ball is deep in my palm, wrist is stiff and the back of the hand releases towards the catcher. I find it easy.

The circle change is popular. Make the OK sign with your fingers and tuck the ball in your palm.

But, I also show the girls the one where my hand turns all the way around. My thumb goes towards my left side and I push the ball out with my thumb. My hand is backwards, so to speak.

But, there are many others. Just so your arm speed is the same as your fast ball and you aren't telegraphing the pitch, you are good.

Sep 3, 2009
There are so many ways, that I don't even know all of the correct names. I, personally, throw the back hand. The ball is deep in my palm, wrist is stiff and the back of the hand releases towards the catcher. I find it easy.

The circle change is popular. Make the OK sign with your fingers and tuck the ball in your palm.

But, I also show the girls the one where my hand turns all the way around. My thumb goes towards my left side and I push the ball out with my thumb. My hand is backwards, so to speak.

But, there are many others. Just so your arm speed is the same as your fast ball and you aren't telegraphing the pitch, you are good.

Thanks Amy!

I'm aware of the circle change for baseball but figured it would be hard for her with the size of the ball. She actually has long fingers so maybe I'll show her that one as well, as she continues to work on the backhand.

Jan 24, 2009
Well, that's what I'd like to hear. Mind sharing some?

Thanks! Tom

Tom, others have alluded to some of the different changeups. I am going to guess that your DD's hand isn't big enough to handle some of the CU's mentioned. If her hand is small, her fastball may be almost 'palmed' (due to hand size, palm is close to ball), so the palmball version of the CU may not show an appreciable drop in speed. Stiffening her wrist as suggested may help, but the problem is that young kids don't hear 'stiff wrist' and do it. They need to be shown *how* to do that.

Try this: Remember loose=fast is the general rule. Take the index finger and knuckle it such that the entire fingernail is basically against the ball. This alone makes the middle and social finger have to hold on a little tighter in order to not lose the ball during the fast arm circle. That tightness stiffens the wrist and you see a reduction in speed. In this case, the wrist stiffening is a non-teach because the body just naturally does what is HAS to do as it compensates for the fact that you stole a finger from the grip. I have seen kids at 10u with super effective changeups using the knuckle grip. It is very easy to learn and does not involve a major change of mechanics.

Not slow enough? Her hand is a little bigger then, so knuckle another finger in addition to the index finger. Index and pinky for example. You have to do some trial and error and this is why people are telling you that there are numerous changeups and why we say you have to find one that works for your particular kid.

The one I described is very easy and effective for a youngster, but the problem is that she will grow out of it and have to adopt a different changeup. As her hand grows, the grip becomes easier, the stiffness lessens, and the speed increases.

I have described just one of many different types, but I'm giving you one that I have seen young girls have a lot of success with. One that I rarely ever see a young girl throw well is the backhand flip. I see that one all the time, but almost never see a good consistent strike when a youngster throws it--mostly due to a marked lack of vertical control. If your DD is struggling with that one, she is more the norm IMO. However, this version can grow up with her. At around 13/14, the kids who couldn't really throw it for all those years (but tried) are starting to throw it well...at least some of them. So, I won't poo-poo that version entirely, but it requires loads of patience and practice. Others have a different opinion on this and that is fine. I am neither a pitcher nor a PC. I'm only offering what I have witnessed over a bazillion games and practices. Others will now explain how great the backhand is and I'm cool with that. Whatever works!

Good luck,
VW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd