Challenge! Who shas the cure!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Is mankins bag drill and manns bag drill pretty similar?

That's is one of the things I like to have youth work on, rdbass, that's using your hands to turn the barrel. Just add the corner.

I use the bag in many ways, with many kids, who all need different instruction.

the bag drills that I use for bat drag, are here.

annazoneworkgif-M.gif

annanoconnectgif-S.gif

StealthDrill-S.gif

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
I just replied to another thread that will help you with this. Film her hit in slow motion off a T. Let her watch it in slow motion compared to a good swing in slow motion. She can then see what you are trying to explain to her. This helps with bat drag/lag and dropping her hands. Kids are visual, they respond when they can actually see what they are doing wrong. Good luck!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Right ... and when Ben Hogan spoke of desiring three rear arms he also wasn't speaking of turning the barrel.

Pre-contact extension is real.

Yes it is. and there is a very fine line between your extension being a push, and the extension being a result of.
that is because your bat must be guided in some fashion through contact.

Bonds_tophand4-L.gif

Bonds arms are lengthening in his gif. And he is talking "throwing"
manaxegif-M.gif

Most youth have little problem with extending their arms, but do have trouble with their hands, and pivot.
The pivot work helped greatly I believe, and our averages went up, and home runs went up.

Thought of high hands, not dropping hands, and oily wrists.
and yes, her arm is in her face.

devondeckgiff-S.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes it is. and there is a very fine line between your extension being a push, and the extension being a result of.
that is because your bat must be guided in some fashion through contact.

Not a fine line at all.

When many describe extension as being a 'result', they are generally attempting to describe 'post-impact extension'. IMO many remain confused on 'pre-impact extension'.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not a fine line at all.

When many describe extension as being a 'result', they are generally attempting to describe 'post-impact extension'. IMO many remain confused on 'pre-impact extension'.

28gtz.gif

33jpqf7.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not a fine line at all.

I'm personally interested to see where you are going with this. I believe I have a decent understanding of pre-contact extension and post-contact extension, but I am always anxious to learn. I believe both are the result of a good efficient swing. In addition, I believe the percentage of pre vs post contact extension is going to vary based on the hitter's timing. A greater % of pre-contact extension will occur if the hitter is early with timing, etc. I think of it as trying to get the barrel behind the ball and hitting through the ball, on plane (or as close as possible). This provides a window of timing for the hitter.

That said, I do believe many refer to "extension" as post-contact, where the angle of the rear elbow is at or near 0 degrees.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Not a fine line at all.

Therefore pre contact extension is a conscious effort, as a result of what FP just described, and so the pivot would be a forceful act, not a passive one.
Pivot Also called the throw, fling and the turning of the barrel .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1