Challenge....any takers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
P, it's really not that hard unless all the other one legged thoughts are overwhelming you.... Just apply it and let things happen naturally.. You will feel the flow like no other. I can guarantee you if your actively trying to turn the barrel on 90 plus the ball is by you.

I don't really want to argue this, because I know that it'll be 40 pages of going back and forth, but I think there's a reason why MLB hitters talk about the hands all the time. When Bautista started hitting a lot of home runs (2010 and 2011, when he had 54 and 43 home runs), he said that the most important things were loading "slower and earlier" and being told to move his top hand in a small semi-circle.

IMO, he was told to turn the barrel, and in combination with loading slower and earlier, he was finally able to whip the bat.

Jan 13, 2012
Let's not let the facts get in the way of your "opinion"... I mean, hitters aren't really about hitting/squaring the ball. No, they are after "Deep Whoosh"! LOL

But carry on.

Deep whoosh is a result of proper mechanics. You don't try to get a deep whoosh, it just happens as the result of good mechanics.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't really want to argue this, because I know that it'll be 40 pages of going back and forth, but I think there's a reason why MLB hitters talk about the hands all the time. When Bautista started hitting a lot of home runs (2010 and 2011, when he had 54 and 43 home runs), he said that the most important things were loading "slower and earlier" and being told to move his top hand in a small semi-circle.

IMO, he was told to turn the barrel, and in combination with loading slower and earlier, he was finally able to whip the bat.

Exactly! $100 to anyone that posts an interview of a hitter talking about his belly button.

Jan 13, 2012
Exactly! $100 to anyone that posts an interview of a hitter talking about his belly button.

The guys who do talk about the belly button talk about in the context of "belly button in the direction of the hit." I think the reason that hitters talk about the hands so much is because they trust the lower body running start. The pelvis always gets open. The hands determine the decision to go.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
What about $100 for anyone who can find more Pro's who talk about getting the knob end of the bat right FIRST??? You see, we all know that they talk about direction. Some even believe in hands to the ball. Not saying that's right, but they sure as hell don't mean twiddling the barrel when they discuss HANDS.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

P I don't want to argue either but when you make stuff up because you read it at HI you Need to be called out... So Bautista started earlier and slower to help with his barrel turn? What year did you stop playing competitive baseball? Did the earlier and slower help your game... Or how about the barrel turn??? Let me guess you just couldn't do it correct?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
P I don't want to argue either but when you make stuff up because you read it at HI you Need to be called out... So Bautista started earlier and slower to help with his barrel turn? What year did you stop playing competitive baseball? Did the earlier and slower help your game.

Bautista talked about starting slower and earlier, i.e. loading earlier. He also learned to turn the barrel.

Before they tried to rescue Bautista's psyche, Gaston and Murphy wanted to overhaul his swing. Scouts admired Bautista's hips as much as Shakira's. The torque he generated allowed him to wait for the ball to travel deeper into the strike zone before he started his swing. Bautista knew this but never took advantage of it. The late start on Bautista's swing negated his hips' quickness. Gaston and Murphy urged Bautista to trigger his swing by moving his top hand in a small semicircle almost a second earlier than before and allow his wrists to drive the bat through the zone.

How Jose Bautista Went From Baseball Vagabond To The Game's Best Slugger | ThePostGame

And we've all seen this video, but here it is again.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Bautista talked about starting slower and earlier, i.e. loading earlier. He also learned to turn the barrel.

How Jose Bautista Went From Baseball Vagabond To The Game's Best Slugger | ThePostGame

And we've all seen this video, but here it is again.

Did he say he felt like his hands "flew through the zone"???? LOL

Bautista.gif

Have I ever mentioned that the hands have 2 competing priorities??? I think I have... LOL

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
P, what's the difference between a hitter going all in on a 2-0 3-1 vs 2 strikes ? What does sitting on a pitch mean to you?

Why sit on a pitch when you only need one leg to hit ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves