Cell Phone Use Team Policy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2009
Cell Phone Use

We do have a cell phone policy. I coach high school varsity. During practice, phones are to be turned to silent and left in their bags. Should a parent have an emergency, they are instructed to call one of the coaches as we have our phones on us, or at least in ear shot.

During games, phones are not allowed in the dug-out. Period!

When I coached at the college level, the same rules were in place.
:)

Oct 8, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hello Marc.
I'm not sure around the US but in NY everyone and their sister has a cell phone and My team is only all 13U girls. I have simple rules for cell phone. Once practice starts; either team practices or pregame practices; NO Cell phone PERIOD... After coaches final closing comments and all equipment is put away you can text all you want. 1st offense, entire team runs. 2nd offense phone becomes mine until I give it to a parent. But I do lead by example and purposly leave my phone on and with me. If my phone does ring I do not answer it... (this works great when my wife calls LOL)

Marc, 2 other rules I have that the players hate but the parents love.
1. Coaches do not carry team equipment, when I show up I open the trunk and walk to the field with my practice planner and as girls show up they bring equipment to and from the field.
2. Parents are not allowed to carry the player bags to and from the field. It is their equipment (expensive equipment) and they should be responsible for it. I see it too much where player basically just toss' her bag to a parent and says carry this...

KAT

May 13, 2008
Hello Marc.
I'm not sure around the US but in NY everyone and their sister has a cell phone and My team is only all 13U girls. I have simple rules for cell phone. Once practice starts; either team practices or pregame practices; NO Cell phone PERIOD... After coaches final closing comments and all equipment is put away you can text all you want. 1st offense, entire team runs. 2nd offense phone becomes mine until I give it to a parent. But I do lead by example and purposly leave my phone on and with me. If my phone does ring I do not answer it... (this works great when my wife calls LOL)

Marc, 2 other rules I have that the players hate but the parents love.
1. Coaches do not carry team equipment, when I show up I open the trunk and walk to the field with my practice planner and as girls show up they bring equipment to and from the field.
2. Parents are not allowed to carry the player bags to and from the field. It is their equipment (expensive equipment) and they should be responsible for it. I see it too much where player basically just toss' her bag to a parent and says carry this...

I am glad to hear this. I see so many girls either disapear when things are to be put away (bases, screens, pitching machine etc. )both club and high school and their parents run in and get their bags for them and carry to car. I am glad to see a coach is making the kids responsible for themselves.

Jun 26, 2008
Vermont
Obviously the age group and situation will dictate what kind of policy is needed. I have always strived to make rules like this fair to the players as well as to the team and coaches. For example - our high school team can have up to a 2 hour bus ride one way. Restricting cell phone use from the time we get on the bus till we get off at home would be about a 7 hour "blackout", and likely be received as a form of punishment rather than as a team rule.

Designating specific times to allow usage makes more sense to me. For example after the bus is underway, announce that everyone has a 20 minute window to use their cell phones, then announce when that time is up. This allows plenty of time for players to TM or call their friends and families, and allows everyone time to socialize with each other. The players won't feel like they're being deprived of something that is part of their every day life.

Setting rules like this fosters a healthy relationship with your players. You are in control without being unreasonable, and that will earn your players' respect.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would never take their phones. They are too expensive and there is too much chance of something happening to them.

I tell them no cell phone use during practice or games and they need to
be turned off.

It doesn't bother me if they are texting at a restaurant.

I guess if it became a problem, I would address it, but I coached college girls and they were adults.

I agree that parents need a coach's number to call if they are lost or something, though.

May 5, 2008
Phones must be off or on vibrate during practice and games. Players are not allowed to talk on them during practice or games. There's no reason for a player to have their cell phone during the game. All parents and important family members should have the coaches numbers and should contact them should there be an emergency for which their daughter needs to be contacted.

Feb 23, 2009
Colleges don't like seeing cell phones is what I have learned, between games keep them away is the right thing to do in my opinion

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck