Catching Workouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2013
Tennessee
I'm new to this site, so bear with me with this! :) for the past few years, I've been on first (I'm 6 feet tall so it helps a lot) but my best friend is a pitcher and after I took a 2 year break, she talked me into signing up for rec ball with her. I've been helping out catch for her at her lessons and I love it, though I'm not too good yet!

We'll be hanging out this weekend and I wanted to know if anyone knew of some drills or workouts I can do to get better before try outs? Or any tips for me?

Thanks! ;D

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Welcome, my daughter is 6'1" and still growing, has caught for years. She learned from the New England Catching Camp DVD:
The New England Catching Camp - Online Store
Its got complete descriptions of techniques and drills, well worth the $40.

As for this weekend, look at the articles and online camp at that site, check out their youtube videos, as well as those by Advanced Catching concepts in KC, Mo. I'd suggest you start with stances and receiving, and start working on wall sits for endurance, but you'll figure out where you need to work pretty quickly. Your friend will enjoy the flinch drill immensely.

Coaches might mutter and whine about tall catchers, just let it go and keep working. If you like to work, you'll have a great time at the position.

Feb 14, 2013
Tennessee
I played for my best friend's pitching instructor when I was 8 or so, she doesn't care about height and is like an older sister to us both. Her fiancée coaches catching only and has been watching me and throwing out some pointers every so often. He's cool too, but I don't get actual lessons from him.

Wall sits really don't help me. After an hour I just get bored and leave, haha! Too many years of basketball, I guess, and freshman basketball was pretty hardcore. They've given up on making me do lunges every time I miss a ball too because I'm used to full court lunge sets. ^^

I can catch what she throws at me, but I've not caught long enough to be used to blocking and stuff. And I've never caught with a hitter or on a field, for that matter. Just in the grass by a parking lot last summer for a tournament and recently in the old warehouse we use for lessons. I'll check that out, thanks! I've seen a ton of YouTube videos and am going to call Dani later to figure out what we are gonna do!

Aug 5, 2012
I haven't been around long enough to know the protocol for recommending other sites, but the Jen Schro Catching page on facebook has some pretty inspiring videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles