Catching/pitching the Changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2010
I have a 10u team and my pitchers are both learning the changeup. They both throw it very straight but alot of the time it lands short of the catcher. Since it is a very effective strike 3 pitch for 10's we use it often in that situation. Unfortunatly the drawback is it puts us in a dropped 3rd strike situation more often than not.
Is there anything we can do differently from a catching standpoint until the pitchers get more used to the pitch or should I use it more often for a strike 2 pitch and/or when 1st is occupied for strike 3?

Jan 25, 2011
figure if you beat a girl who can't catch up to the ball, with two strikes, why bail out and give her something she can handle? If she is ahead of the ball with her swing, then it should be thrown early in the count.

My dd was pitching and her cousin was catching.DD was throwing the fastball,batter couldn't catch up 2 strikes on the girl.My catcher gave the sign for the change,not my idea,but you have to let the catcher develope too.Well needless to say it didn't work out to well for us.At that age you sometimes just have to go with what works.The change up will come,maybe just not on the 3 strike.I also say early in the count.But don't give up on it,it is good for the pitcher and the catcher to develope together.

Jul 26, 2010
It's important to teach proper catching mechanics. Catchers need to recognize a ball that is coming in low and execute a block rather then a catch. Because the catchers are aware of this pitch, and the pitch is slower, this is the best and easiest blocking practice a catcher is going to get in a live game.

There is nothing wrong with a dropped third strike, with proper blocking mechanics, it is still an out.

-W

Nov 1, 2009
Agree with Star on the blocking rather than the catching on the change up. In games I have seen where the change up is bad on 3rd strike the problem is the ball is going to the backstop therefore the batter ends up on first.

The other issue is do you throw the pitch. If you expect to have any success at the next age leve you must have a good change up. Speed will only take you so far and that is 10u. Once you move to 40 and 43 feet you will find it next to impossible to throw the ball by good hitters. Most pitchers throw all the other pitches the same speed and for most of them (unless they are your daughter) they don't have enough movement to matter so batters have an advantage.

When to throw a change up. We throw the change up on the first pitch, full counts, second pitch, for third strikes or when I am bored. The point is you should use it at different stages of the at bat so you are not predictable. Keep the batter off balance and you win if you can play a little defense.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Throw the change up for a 3rd strike.

1st Teach your catcher to be close enough to the batter
2nd When that change up is called teach the catcher to turn the glove palm up and reach at the ground level forward and let the ball fall in the glove.

As long as the ball lands behind the plate they should be able to accomplish this.

Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the info. I think we will continue to throw it on third strike and also add it as a 1st and 2nd strike as well. We will also try to get our catcher in better position to receive it. Anyone have any good ideas on signs to call pitches for 10u? What we use now is very easy for our catcher/pitcher to understand but also very easy for opposing coaches to pick up on too. Fortunately, when the coach yells out "Watch the changeup" it doesnt seem to help the batters at all. They still whiff on it. Again, we are only playing 10u now but that will all change in a year.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Either the coach is just guessing since your pitchers have good ones or he/someone is seeing your signs. My asst calls the pitches doing nothing more then a 1 / 2 finger between the legs. Try a 3/4 finger or I have sometimes used the touched knee / L = FB, R=CU.

I have 2 pitchers that through great change ups we will throw 2-3 back to back sometimes and watch that coach tell the batter to move up. Then drill the FB right past her.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
...we will throw 2-3 back to back sometimes and ... Then drill the FB right past her.

Great use of the CU! DD's drop is kind of working like a CU, Until she gets it down, I think we could actually use it in a game in that sequence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd