Catching Mitt Purchase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Currently my DD uses an Akadema and it's a floppy mess. She loves it but the ball falls out constantly even when I catch. I think she likes it because it does feel comfortable on the hand. I've been reading the feedback on the mitts on here and everywhere else and I finally decided yes I decided not her on a Nokona Banana Tan. There is a 100 day return policy on the glove so I can always send it back if she doesn't like it.

Anyone have any good or bad feedback on this glove or any gloves that are better?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm bummed to hear that the Akadema hasn't worked out for you. How long has she had it?

Many people love the Vinci mitts. They are very well made, and offer the best hand protection available. However, there are a few people who have found that the palm padding causes issues with being able to feel the ball in the mitt which results in a lot of dropped pitches.

I really like the All-Star mitts. Excellent materials and construction. The CMW3000 was designed with help from Jay at NECC.

Jun 24, 2011
We're in the process of breaking in a CMW3000 right now - it's taking a little longer than expected, but it's a really nice mitt. Palm padding seems to be perfect - enough to eliminate sting without losing feel of the ball. Excellent leather - the pop when the ball is caught right in the pocket is ridiculously loud!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD loves the glove but it's very floppy. I didn't notice it until I saw her drop a few balls and then I put it on and had a ton of trouble holding onto the ball. Also there is no padding in the palm and that has begun to sting her hand. The glove is a little over a year old but has been used pretty good. I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with akadema as a whole just I was hoping for a longer lasting glove.

I am also not impressed with the material around the laces cracking and wearing off but it was a good to great glove.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD loves the glove but it's very floppy. I didn't notice it until I saw her drop a few balls and then I put it on and had a ton of trouble holding onto the ball. Also there is no padding in the palm and that has begun to sting her hand. The glove is a little over a year old but has been used pretty good. I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with akadema as a whole just I was hoping for a longer lasting glove.

I am also not impressed with the material around the laces cracking and wearing off but it was a good to great glove.

Thanks for the feedback. These are all areas I wish Akadema would improve.

Feb 16, 2015
I am also on a hunt for a catcher mitt for my 14 year old. She is fairly new to catching and fastpitch in general, but loves it and seems to be pretty good at it. She will be playing Varsity ball here soon, catching pitches in the 55-60 range. The mitt she's been using is an old Rawlings team mitt that's about 7 years old and so...we need to find our own. We would like to get something fairly easy to break in and not too heavy. I have heard and read so much, I'm totally confused. She is average in size, 5'3", 120lbs. We were going to go with the Vinci but heard that it wasn't a good idea to use a black mitt for the catchers sake????? Any additional suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. We've tried on gloves at Dicks but they do not offer much there for fastpitch. I'm assuming a 32.5" or 33", how do I know? Thanks!

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Jquick, DD is a 18u catcher, catches about 65 games year. She used to go through 1 glove per year.

Last year I bit the bullet and picked up a Nokona Buckaroo Black for her. It took a long time to break in but has turned into an excellent glove. It has keep its shape and stiffness. Absolutely zero flop to it.

Highly recommended.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Black a problem for the catcher? Never experienced or ever heard of such foolishness, but you can get something in custom colors if there's some sort of personal aversion! For 55+ mph, you will want/need/appreciate a top quality mitt to protect the hand. IMO, Vinci offers better protection and a better value than Nokona (PM DFP members Casedawg or Chazbz1 and they probably can put you in one for <= $200, which is 50-100 less than a comparable Nokona). All the top end mitts take a little longer to break in than the typical off-the shelf mitts you see at Dick's etc. My DD's JCV-VM Vinci was game ready in 3 weeks and is still in excellent shape going into year #3. IMO, 33" is good size, no need for bigger.

I am also on a hunt for a catcher mitt for my 14 year old. She is fairly new to catching and fastpitch in general, but loves it and seems to be pretty good at it. She will be playing Varsity ball here soon, catching pitches in the 55-60 range. The mitt she's been using is an old Rawlings team mitt that's about 7 years old and so...we need to find our own. We would like to get something fairly easy to break in and not too heavy. I have heard and read so much, I'm totally confused. She is average in size, 5'3", 120lbs. We were going to go with the Vinci but heard that it wasn't a good idea to use a black mitt for the catchers sake????? Any additional suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. We've tried on gloves at Dicks but they do not offer much there for fastpitch. I'm assuming a 32.5" or 33", how do I know? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog