Catching makes you slower?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
A couple years ago I was told catching made you a slower runner. While it was a nice excuse to explain my below average speed I didnt't quite buy it. Hadn't given the idea much thought until this weekend and opposing team's coach mentioned the same thing. Personally, I'm far from convinced but still a little curious... Does anyone know the science behind this?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Catching builds ridiculous leg, thigh, and butt muscles.... if I'm not mistaken, those muscles are essential in running???? I too have a BS flag on this.
When I build a team, my catcher and ss are typically the most athletic kids on the team.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We got a girl that is on the large size but mainly all legs that catches for our 16U team and guess what she is #3 for speed out of 12 players. I say she is 5' 6" pushing 180lbs or slightly more.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
A couple years ago I was told catching made you a slower runner. While it was a nice excuse to explain my below average speed I didnt't quite buy it. Hadn't given the idea much thought until this weekend and opposing team's coach mentioned the same thing. Personally, I'm far from convinced but still a little curious... Does anyone know the science behind this?

This is entirely based on the fact that THOUSANDS of bucket dads each year are certainly much slower at the end of their catching careers than at the beginning. The corollary to this is of course catching also makes you go bald! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1