Catchers Protect Your Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Catchers Protect Your Umpire!!

One of the most significant roles we work to develop in our catching students is their role as the protector of their umpire. We all have seen many times when a pitch goes in the dirt, the catcher misses the block, and the umpire takes the hit. This can happen more often when there are no runners on base and the catchers many times do not see the need to block a pitch in the dirt. After talking to umpires all over the country we have come to understand that a safe umpire is a happy umpire and a happy umpire is what we all want to have setting up behind our catcher.

Catchers that use 2 different stances many times are unsure how to execute a block when they are in their deep no-runners on stance. While this block is more difficult then when executed from a higher runners-on stance it can still be executed if practiced. The clip below shows the technique executed by a softball player. The technique is the same for a baseball catcher. The key is the legs and hips must be driven down and back much harder then if they use a higher runners-on stance. Likewise if the throwing hand is kept behind the leg it must be brought to the front behind the glove much faster then if the hand is kept out front behind the glove.

The bottom line is whether runners are on base or not your catcher needs to learn skills that will protect the umpire from getting hit. The temptation is to try and catch or “pick” the low pitches when there are no runners on base. My recommendation is to train your catchers to block everything. If your catcher achieves this they will also be helping their pitcher to build more confidence in them as a catcher as well.

Video courtesy of Chaz Wood with Advanced Catching Concepts Liberty Mo

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
It is important to remember that the umpire expects the catcher to protect him or her. At a recent clinic here in Kansas City, one of the catchers I was working with had a father who umpired. We discussed at length during and after the clinic about framing and protection. His personal philosophy was that he would gladly open up the strike zone for catchers that demonstrated respectful, proper framing as well as keeping him protected!
-Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

Mar 13, 2010
His personal philosophy was that he would gladly open up the strike zone for catchers that demonstrated respectful, proper framing as well as keeping him protected!

I'm judging that umpire so hard right now.

His job as an umpire is to have a consistent strike zone for BOTH teams. Not favour a team because one catcher might be better coached at her position.

I haven't been a blue in about 15 years, but in Australia the majority of umpiring is done by the teams on a bye, so because I was a blue as a teenager I've had a lot of experience with umpiring plate. Do I want the catchers to protect me? Sure. Do I expect it? No.

Jun 21, 2010
Thanx Coach Weaver. The video answers a question I asked a while back about blocking in no runners on stance. I wondered if an attempt to block was needed when no runners on, but I see it's is needed, if anything, to protect the ump.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
My recommendation is to train your catchers to block everything. If your catcher achieves this they will also be helping their pitcher to build more confidence in them as a catcher as well.

This picture from last week at my DD's college game reveals another use for blocking... Stopping low throws from the outfield. The runner at first had just batted the ball to right field and the runner at second advanced to third. Daughter set up at the plate for a possible tag play and the right fielder put the ball in to home plate. The throw was in the dirt at home. The cloud of dust was from the DD dropping and blocking the low throw from a standing position. Then the daughter came up fast to hold the runners at first and third.

Effective blocking can set truly make your catcher stand out. Whether taking throws from the pitcher or fielders!

Attachments

• P1360900.jpg
    P1360900.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 35
Nov 29, 2009
I work with a lot of young catchers on my teams. What I'll do sometimes during a game if I see one of the being lazy with blocking is give them a verbal kick in the pants. I will tell them they need to drop and block the ball. "The umpire is not their personal backstop. If he has to stop any more balls he'll want to be on the team." The comment usually gets at least a grin or chuckle out of most the umps and the kids get the point they need to work harder without having to yell at them.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck