Catchers Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 16, 2012
Seems like a simple question but when asked I can't seem to find an answer..Anyways, I had a parent who's DD is a catcher that if he bought her a new catchers helmet could they add hockey style graphics..

I'm assuming you can't but wanted to ask before answering the question..

Jun 22, 2008
No rule against painting or stickers on helmets. Kids and teams have their batting helmets airbrushed all the time, catchers helmets wouldnt be any different. Catcher on my daughters team had helmet with bald eagle airbrushed on it.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
This has nothing to do with the above other than some might consider it an amusing story.

A few weeks ago I was calling in a 14U tournament and a Catcher had a bunch of stickers on the back of her helmet that read: "I love Umpires" and "Umpires are cool!" and a few others I can't recall. I didn't notice it right away, but when I did I asked her how many other umpires other than me had commented on it, she said only a few. I said "Do you think they help?" Her response: "My dad thinks they don't hurt." I laughed. I told her I awarded her 5,000 catcher points. I explained they really weren't good for anything, but to keep them anyway. :)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
While looking for new gear for DD, her old gear matched her old team colors and of course they don't match now, I told her black and that's it or purple so you can just say you are making a fashion statement. Then it occured to me, why not make catchers gear like soccer goalie gear. Goalie's doesn't have to match the team, can be bright with vibrant colors and patterns.

I asked DD if she'd wear something like that and she said yes, in a heartbeat.

Using sublimation you could get the colors through the chest protector fabric before assembly. Shinguards and helmets could be made to match.

For now it's black and we are putting the team graphic on the back part of the helmet.

Nov 2, 2012
My DD is just 10u but has decided she wants to catch. She is getting pretty good. So I was thinking for Christmas about getting her some gear. The idea of getting Her some that I could get air brushed would be great. Thanks for posting this. Got one more thing of my Christmas list.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I don't know if I'd spend to much on a 10yo's gear. DD is almost 14 and on her third size of gear. Even if your child doesn't grow much she will need equipment designed to take the bigger hits. Most chest protectors for a 10yo won't offer adequate protection from a foul tip coming off a 14yo's bat. The shin protectors are designed for sub 40 mph and little blocking. Gear for a 10yo costs about 100 for everything. Each piece costs 100 for a 14yo. You can shop hard and find discounts.

The most important piece is the helmet. No one wants to be a catcher having to wear another's helmet.

Apr 1, 2010
DD has an airbrushed catchers helmet. It's quite cool--looks like a giant softball. A few months after having it done, she joined a team that gave her a new set of gear in their colors. So the airbrushed helmet probably won't be used anymore unless she leaves this team--please, no, I'm happy here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi