Catchers Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I like the look of the Vinci's, but DD has had a closed pocket glove and really prefers the H pockets. DD's a freshman and thriving at college. I laugh because one of the GA's told her she was too aggressive behind the plate sometimes. She out gunned a senior 2nd baseman the other day trying for the out. I like the Rawlings, I'll have DD take a look at them when she comes home next.
DD likes the H web too. She's 16 and uses the Vinci JCV-VM, which has the h-web. It is a 33" mitt, but has an adequate pocket and the same padding as the JCV-34. Her first one lasted 3 1/2 years and she catches ALOT! There's no telling how many thousands of balls it caught between practices, games and lessons. Her second one will last her through the next two years of HS and I will buy her another one if she chooses to play in college.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Hey ian, I'm sure that pattern is great, but that particular model (ProCM33FPB) is made with "Horween Featherlite" leather which is a Dual Core Heart of the Hide model. The customs we were playing around with yesterday were true Heart of the Hide Rawlings with true HOH leather. HUGE difference in leathers!!

Just take the black customs I mocked up yesterday, there's 3 different blacks....

***Dry black, this is Rawlings Japanese tanned (J-Tan) steer hide leather, dang great leather!
***Horween oiled black, supplied by THE Horween tannery out of Chicago, IL. This stuff is tough as nails and wears like iron!!
***And Horween black soft Dual Core, or Featherlite.....this stuff is crap, don't buy a Dual Core Rawlings unless it's for rec ball, definitely not for hard, serious play like travel ball or year round play, gets floppy fast!

For a black Rawlings glove, both of the top two mentioned are great leathers and the two you would want to buy!

Absolutely, the hide makes a difference (in durability and price). I picked up the lowly champion version of this mitt 2 years ago for $55. Its worked great for this part time bucket dad and pulled double duty for my 10u son. Its a little floppy now but Ive got my money out of it and its got some life left.

The pattern is great. The pocket is big enough, the wrist closure works awesome. Best pattern I have found. Can only imagine how nice the more expensive models are.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Absolutely, the hide makes a difference (in durability and price). I picked up the lowly champion version of this mitt 2 years ago for $55. Its worked great for this part time bucket dad and pulled double duty for my 10u son. Its a little floppy now but Ive got my money out of it and its got some life left.

The pattern is great. The pocket is big enough, the wrist closure works awesome. Best pattern I have found. Can only imagine how nice the more expensive models are.

That's great to hear, I was hoping I didn't come across as knocking on your mitt. For that money I would have definitely bought it also. The only Dual Core glove I've ever owned was a 11.25" Pro88 HOH that I found at PIAS, some employee there had it in the wrong section and had it priced wrong. I paid $40.00 for it and brought it home and re-laced it with super stiff Tanners lace, it was a great glove and pattern and whoever previously broke it in, they broke it in perfectly! Great baseball infield pattern! Was well worth more than I paid for it, got floppy fast but again, well worth it!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD likes the H web too. She's 16 and uses the Vinci JCV-VM, which has the h-web. It is a 33" mitt, but has an adequate pocket and the same padding as the JCV-34. Her first one lasted 3 1/2 years and she catches ALOT! There's no telling how many thousands of balls it caught between practices, games and lessons. Her second one will last her through the next two years of HS and I will buy her another one if she chooses to play in college.

Depending on where your DD goes to school she may be given a glove in college. My DD had to give up her Vinci for a Wilson A2000 because of a sponsorship.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
The All-Star CMW 3000 is currently $97 on the baseball monkey site with the %15 off code they have for the black Friday/ Cyber Monday

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles