Catcher's Defense of Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I coach a 2nd year 10U TB team. We have progressed nicely for our time invested. My question for the catcher guru's is as follows: With a runner on third base who is leading off and and playing chicken for attention, should the catcher ever come out and engage the runner by walking down the line?

My assistant coach feels she should come out and address the runner everytime it happens. I see this as a problem because is it kills their legs (remember 10U) over the course of an all day tournament all the extra steps. Coming out from the plate area has led to an eventual score of the runner playing chicken with us. At a minimum the rear baserunner will advance while everyone is pre-occupied with the third base runner. I feel this is a tactic used to pressure a nistake thus manufactering a run. We use it all the time to press a catcher's mental and physical ability to determine how good they are.

I feel she should stay put and make a swift throw back after every pitch being fully prepared for the pitcher to fire the ball right back to her for an out. I feel that if she is quick enough in her return of the ball to the pitcher, the runner will never get down the line far enough to pose a problem that a throw back from the pitcher would not handle. Am I wrong? Are there variables I should considering? Are the obvious situations I am overlooking? Thanks for your input in advance?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I coach a 2nd year 10U TB team. We have progressed nicely for our time invested. My question for the catcher guru's is as follows: With a runner on third base who is leading off and and playing chicken for attention, should the catcher ever come out and engage the runner by walking down the line?

Not a guru...My DD is #2 catcher... But you know you need 2 even 3 catchers, to keep balance. Here's an Idea...can the catcher really throw them out??? Mine can
Plan.... Z - YouTube

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
PC. We have two good catchers who can make throws to all bases. Problem is this involves the catcher leaving her base to walk out and engage the runner. So I am not sure I folllow your questions about our catchers being able to throw them out?

I see this situation as only fixable by having the catcher run them all the way back to third once she comes away from her base and down the line. A distraction, a stall of the game and a way to wear any catcher out mentally and physically at this young of an age. However, my opinion is not the only one. Therefore I am giving my AC the benefit of the doubt and researching with others here to get advice and input. Thanks for yours. :)

May 17, 2012
I feel she should stay put and make a swift throw back after every pitch being fully prepared for the pitcher to fire the ball right back to her for an out.

Yes.

If the runner gets crazy with the lead off you can mix in a pump fake to the pitcher and a throw down to third. If you really don't want the run to score have the catcher walk it up the line towards third while the first baseman covers home.

This will be less of an issue as they get older.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC. We have two good catchers who can make throws to all bases. Problem is this involves the catcher leaving her base to walk out and engage the runner. So I am not sure I folllow your questions about our catchers being able to throw them out?

Your welcome & I'll try to be a little clearer. Throw them out... are you running the legs off your SS by having them run over to cover the base every play,and dignifying the threat. And can your thirdbaseman make the tag even if she is playing up. My play I sent you was one that you can use even if they can, by getting the left fielder in the game. I don't know your team, I'm just thinking 10u (A/B???) in general. What we do, if they want to play that game, is just win it. After DD throws 2-3 in a row back to third, now all she has to do is fake, and they dive and slide back...they get tired doing that too, and dirty. IMHO :)

Last edited:
The best thing the catcher can do is make sure the runner is going back towards third, she can fake throw to the pitcher a time or two just to make sure she is not trying to break towards home but other than that a crisp throw to the pitcher works the best, you dont even need your catcher to be able to throw to any base. She just needs to make sure the runners is at least 3/4 of the way closer to third and leaning towards third then there is no way the runner can beat a crisp throw to the pitchers and then crisp throw back to catcher.

Once girls get older I just have the third baseman play even with the runner if they want to start playing games at third and then instruct the catcher to just throw the ball right at the runners back the third baseman just catches the ball since she is even with the runner and lets the momentum carry her catch right into the runners back for the tag out; the SS move over to cover third and LF is up on the grass.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If your catcher throws well, the runner on third can't take any liberties and this nonsense is put to bed. But at 10U this often isn't the case and the best way to handle it is to get the ball back to the pitcher. If the catcher runs the baserunner back every pitch IMO its a an indication of inexperienced coaching and a clear signal to the other team that the catcher isn't trusted to make a good pick off throw. And if that's the case, it is even more unlikely that the catcher will be able to make a good throw on the run. Avoid the drama, have the catcher look the runner every pitch, occassionally fake a throw, and get the ball back to an alert pitcher at the front of the circle and then the look back rule goes into effect.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I have the pitcher come towards the catcher to receive the throw. Then they keep an eye on the runner while she walks back to the circle. Once there with the ball, the cat and mouse game ends.

As the catcher's age up, this goofy game stops. I'm not a fan of it, because it does not teach the girls how to properly play the game. Once they face a hot-shot catcher who snap throws down to F5 for a tag, the shenanigans stop.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
If your catcher throws well, the runner on third can't take any liberties and this nonsense is put to bed. But at 10U this often isn't the case and the best way to handle it is to get the ball back to the pitcher. If the catcher runs the baserunner back every pitch IMO its a an indication of inexperienced coaching and a clear signal to the other team that the catcher isn't trusted to make a good pick off throw. And if that's the case, it is even more unlikely that the catcher will be able to make a good throw on the run. Avoid the drama, have the catcher look the runner every pitch, occassionally fake a throw, and get the ball back to an alert pitcher at the front of the circle and then the look back rule goes into effect.

I agreed with OP on the optimum way, but sounds like it is annoying him. I think the drama is for the pitcher...and will always be... even if there is really no intent to run. If they are on third, most likely they got a hit, or was walked. If they stole a base to get there, its for the P/C & the whole corner, that changes all their attention. My point is that it wears down more than just the catcher. If you got 3rd, SS & LF all running coverages, and no intent to throw them out, and then the "play" is just for the pitcher/catcher to redeem themselves. I think you are trespassing on the others players property. Its up to them to defended there spots, and contribute to the game. The play should include the Landlords. They should be the one who evicts/deports the squatters.

Of course the logic always turns to waiting until next year. Next year when your pitcher can set them down 123, and save everyone the trouble of having to put the ball in play, which is the best way to not wear out your team. Until then the second best way is to get them out on the bases, and it brings momentum for hitting. If the pitcher is in development and is loading the bases, and your catchers are sill one hopping to second...(not that it's wrong) put the team on the problems. All the extra time needed to bait the runners will give the pitcher time to slow down, and when you pull it off, she will gain lots of confidence knowing she is on a real team.

Dec 9, 2011
I agreed with OP on the optimum way, but sounds like it is annoying him. I think the drama is for the pitcher...and will always be... even if there is really no intent to run. If they are on third, most likely they got a hit, or was walked. If they stole a base to get there, its for the P/C & the whole corner, that changes all their attention. My point is that it wears down more than just the catcher. If you got 3rd, SS & LF all running coverages, and no intent to throw them out, and then the "play" is just for the pitcher/catcher to redeem themselves. I think you are trespassing on the others players property. Its up to them to defended there spots, and contribute to the game. The play should include the Landlords. They should be the one who evicts/deports the squatters.

Of course the logic always turns to waiting until next year. Next year when your pitcher can set them down 123, and save everyone the trouble of having to put the ball in play, which is the best way to not wear out your team. Until then the second best way is to get them out on the bases, and it brings momentum for hitting. If the pitcher is in development and is loading the bases, and your catchers are sill one hopping to second...(not that it's wrong) put the team on the problems. All the extra time needed to bait the runners will give the pitcher time to slow down, and when you pull it off, she will gain lots of confidence knowing she is on a real team.

what the ?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy