Catcher Time at Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I was recently reading a post on this site (can't rememeber where) that mildly complained about how there is so much focus on pitching practice, but not much if any catcher specific practice during team practices.

I do agree with that a little. Understanding the importance of the catcher and how they are pretty much involved in every play, I have changed my approach the past couple years with my coaching. Keep in mind…I’m just a dad and a Rec coach and don’t have the multiple practices or expanded knowledge you all have. But for what it’s worth, I make time for the following.

At the end of each practice my catchers do throws to every base..1,2,3,3,2,1...they do this a coupe times. Some ask to stay longer to do more throws after everyone has left.

Throughout the season I take them aside and spend time with them doing some blocking drills, pass ball drills and pop ups.

For pass balls, the pitcher intentionally throws a wild pitch, she then covers home plate for the throw back from the catcher.

For the pop-ups I put the pitching machine on home plate and turn it straight to the sky…they love this one. While I’m doing this the other coach is spending time with the other girls doing other specific fundamental drills. It goes pretty smooth. Plus, the catchers do like the attention.

I guess my point is, time can be made for catchers at regular practices. Even if you only meet once or twice a week, it can be done, and it pays off during games. I’ve learned softball is more of a short game…at least at this level and the catcher is extremely important.

Nonetheless, the best drill I do very frequently is that I break the team up into two teams of 6 players (no outfielders)…and we scrimmage…but every batter must bunt.

The kids love this and it really helps everyone learn and practice so many different things….pitching, fielding bunts, base running, stealing, defending different bunt situations, and bunting for a hit or a sacrifice; and obviously the catcher gets plenty of practice with her bunt defense and throws to multiple bases...as does the pitcher. No one is standing around as all the fielders will be moving somewhere when the batter squares to bunt or when the runner steals. Plus everyone becomes a good confident bunter.

This might not work for everyone out there, but it’s been good to me.

Good luck with it all.

Jul 26, 2010
These days I have pitchers/catchers practice an hour longer then the rest of the team. This includes nights we're indoors for batting practice. I spend most of this time doing catcher specific drills that the pitchers help with, but I also spend time working with the pitchers as well.

At practices with the team, you can get some baserunning and infield practice while you work with catchers.

- Runner starts in batting position at home, coach behind catcher simulates dropped third strike, batter must run to first, catcher must properly throw them out at first

- Pick at 1. Pitcher pitches ball, 1B coach signals the runner back to first, runner must dive to first correctly, catcher tries to pick them off.

- 2b steal, pitcher pitches, runner goes, standard attempt to throw the runner out at 2

- 3b steal (same setup)

- Passed ball. Pitcher pitches wild intentionally (or coach throws from behind pitcher), pitcher must cover correctly as catcher correctly retrieves ball and throws to pitcher covering as runner crashes home.

- New baserunner, rotate catchers, repeat. It's not the most fun for infield as only 1 infielder is involved at a time, but as the catchers improve it goes much faster. You can vary the drill to include multiple runners to simulate a runner on 3 and a runner on one stealing 2nd for the DP attempt as the catchers improve.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
LOL...Thanks Coach! I'm not saying the drills I do are prefectly orchestrated or are fundamentally perfect, but I do as much reading and watching as I can to learn; so I can pass that on to the kids as best I can. They certainly do have fun, I can tell you that much at least!

Hopefully when I bring my 9yo daughter to your clinic at FPN in March I will pick up some good tips on how to teach this position correctly. As you know...practice does not make perfect...it makes Permanent! So you need to make sure you are practicing correctly.

ttyl

Jul 26, 2010
I have you to thank, Coach. While I've always tried to do catcher specific drills with my team, I didn't really know what I was doing until I got your videos and did a lot of studying. Now the catcher specific stuff is done with intent and purpose and I can always go back to the video to reference mechanics. As a side note, it's amazing how much my two catcher's batting has improved since I started working your techniques with them. I think a lot of that comes from the trust and respect that was built as they improved as catchers, now they're much more attentive and quick to absorb instruction on other aspects of the game as well.

Can't thank you enough.

-W

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
LOL...Thanks Coach! I'm not saying the drills I do are prefectly orchestrated or are fundamentally perfect, but I do as much reading and watching as I can to learn; so I can pass that on to the kids as best I can. They certainly do have fun, I can tell you that much at least!

Hopefully when I bring my 9yo daughter to your clinic at FPN in March I will pick up some good tips on how to teach this position correctly. As you know...practice does not make perfect...it makes Permanent! So you need to make sure you are practicing correctly.

ttyl

TJ, We always enjoy meeting forum members when we travel. Putting a face to a screen name is great. As far as the CT clinic in March you will be seeing my son Jay as this is one of his clinics. As I am still recovering from successful cancer surgery I am afraid I am not back on the road yet. Jay does a great job and has been working teaching with me for 12 years now. People tell me when they hear him teach and close their eyes they think I there. He doesn't disagree but does say his jokes are better then mine....

Have you actually signed up for the clinic yet?

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
I have you to thank, Coach. While I've always tried to do catcher specific drills with my team, I didn't really know what I was doing until I got your videos and did a lot of studying. Now the catcher specific stuff is done with intent and purpose and I can always go back to the video to reference mechanics. As a side note, it's amazing how much my two catcher's batting has improved since I started working your techniques with them. I think a lot of that comes from the trust and respect that was built as they improved as catchers, now they're much more attentive and quick to absorb instruction on other aspects of the game as well.

Can't thank you enough.

-W

You are welcome and thanks for the kind words. I am always thrilled to hear from a coach that the DVD did what I envisioned it would do, which is to give a good foundation of what to teach catchers, but just as important how to teach it. Thanks again,

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
TJ, Have you actually signed up for the clinic yet?

No I haven't. I was hoping to go this weekend (2/12) but that didn't work out. I will sign-up for March after this weekend. I will certainly introduce myself and my daughter at the clinic. Two of my players from this past year went up to NH for your clinic and raved about it, as did the parents.

Thanks for the health update...I wish you well during your recovery. If all goes well with my daughter's development hopefully our paths will cross in the future.

Until then, take care of yourself and stay in touch.

TJ

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Jay does a great job and has been working teaching with me for 12 years now. People tell me when they hear him teach and close their eyes they think I there. He doesn't disagree but does say his jokes are better then mine....QUOTE]

I can attest that Coach Jay is blessed with the same passion, knowledge, and teaching ability as Coach Weaver. IMO, Jay's enthusiasm and youth lead to almost instant connection with the younger kids in particular (and I've overheard some older FP catchers note that Jay is better looking).

Feb 3, 2011
This is great information, guys. We aren't really able to do anything with catchers in 8u, largely because we do such a horrible job with the pitchers. Most coaches just agree before games not to steal in 8u.

In 10u, we're going to have to use the pitchers to help develop the catchers. I may have gotten lucky and gotten a catcher in the draft, but it's doubtful. I did, however get a couple of level 1 arms, so I'll be keying on them unless someone else makes it clear they want the position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi