Catcher Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2021
Good morning Everyone,
I have some issue with catcher obstructing rule it takes away the catcher showcasing her skill level of a bang bang play at home to 3rd to 2nd or stopping the game winning or tying run at home .. r all exceptional plays by the defensive leader of your team the catcher! I teach the old school way catching take control be strong be smart . For example In this year U14 PGF tournament in bracket play .. we were up by 1 last inning there last at bat, they hit a 2out bomb to tie the game .. the next batter hit a double a game winning run at second my daughter playing catcher . I yelled at my daughter get ready if they get a she coming always the way home she super fast. Here u go the next batter hits it pass 3rd base n like I said the run I flying home our right scoop it crow hop a shot to
Home . My daughter was not on the to make we are blocking the plate but we should be lol . The runner veer to the right side of the to stay out off the catcher reach .. I believe that run now is our bcuz she ran out of the running lane but that’s my opinion. Now If you have an athletic catcher with good feet movement like my kids lol you are toTeach catch step toward the runner and stick the tag solid low shell never touch plate bcuz you’ll her legs out on tag . Bang bang play .. hard play at home . The throw come in perfectly and kid catch n barely stick the tag on the ankles . Runners flips catcher eats dirt show the ball n the is obstruction the catcher hard illegal tag game over we r out of tournament. So
Please tell how do I explain to my that did everything right but bcu of her solid hard play she penalized buy judgement call of umpire of over aggressive play .. so
How do we train our catcher now runners still slide at home and on base with there cleat high to spike defensive players . N there no call there!!!
Am
Just sour lol

Aug 25, 2019
Good morning Everyone,
I have some issue with catcher obstructing rule it takes away the catcher showcasing her skill level of a bang bang play at home to 3rd to 2nd or stopping the game winning or tying run at home .. r all exceptional plays by the defensive leader of your team the catcher! I teach the old school way catching take control be strong be smart . For example In this year U14 PGF tournament in bracket play .. we were up by 1 last inning there last at bat, they hit a 2out bomb to tie the game .. the next batter hit a double a game winning run at second my daughter playing catcher . I yelled at my daughter get ready if they get a she coming always the way home she super fast. Here u go the next batter hits it pass 3rd base n like I said the run I flying home our right scoop it crow hop a shot to
Home . My daughter was not on the to make we are blocking the plate but we should be lol . The runner veer to the right side of the to stay out off the catcher reach .. I believe that run now is our bcuz she ran out of the running lane but that’s my opinion. Now If you have an athletic catcher with good feet movement like my kids lol you are toTeach catch step toward the runner and stick the tag solid low shell never touch plate bcuz you’ll her legs out on tag . Bang bang play .. hard play at home . The throw come in perfectly and kid catch n barely stick the tag on the ankles . Runners flips catcher eats dirt show the ball n the is obstruction the catcher hard illegal tag game over we r out of tournament. So
Please tell how do I explain to my that did everything right but bcu of her solid hard play she penalized buy judgement call of umpire of over aggressive play .. so
How do we train our catcher now runners still slide at home and on base with there cleat high to spike defensive players . N there no call there!!!
Am
Just sour lol
Well, I hope you explain it to your DD better than you explained the situation here, I read it three times, still don’t know what you’re talking about.🤔

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The picture in the OP is absolutely obstruction. Unless the girl was running to the plate from the dugout (agreed on those girls poking out!) there is no "wide angle" that she is possibly coming from where that catcher is giving her an unobstructed path to home plate.

Hmm...I see the runner on the same path she would probably be on if the catcher wasn't standing there. She's not very far into foul territory, and on her next step, her left foot would probably land close to the line. It can be hard to tell a lot about movement from a still pic, but I'm not seeing anything that indicates that her progress has definitely been impeded at that moment. If the C makes the catch before the runner changes direction, slows down, or impacts the catcher, I don't see obstruction.

But, of course..HTBT.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Still not certain i see less collisions at the plate with this obstruction rule in place.

Deffinetly see more verbal debate/conflict about plays!!!

...and more cheesy runs awarded & outs taken away,
just an opinion.
Like an opinion umpires make ;)

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I'd love to see some old school punctuation.

The pilcrow ...

o-PILCROW-570.jpg

Or my personal favorite ... the INTERROBANG!

31JXX4D+UjL.jpg

Actually, that may be a great team name and logo ...

May 29, 2015
Good morning Everyone,
Am
Just sour lol

I can't say I followed all that, but I'll take a stab at the answer ...

Coach your catchers/fielders this way:

Do you have the ball?
YES -- Tag the runner.
NO -- Do not get between the runner and the bag/base.

Pretty easy.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Regardless, why leave it up to the umpire?

Instead, do a hook slide and make it more difficult for the catcher to make a tag.
How is the runner supposed to execute a hook slide in this situation? You can't hook slide through the catcher. A hook slide is designed for the runner's body to veer away from the catcher while the foot takes a direct path and catches the corner of the plate, giving the catcher a lower and smaller target for the tag. In this case, the runner's foot has no path to the plate. The runner would have to go around the catcher, deviating from her path, at a point where she would not be able to reach the plate with her foot. When she missed the plate, the catcher could then tag her out on the other side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles