Catcher Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2020
Here is a play that has happened twice during this past HS season. The picture of this play shows the catcher straddling the third-base line in a position to receive the ball. The runner from third is running down the third-base line within two steps of catcher and is actually beginning to go into slid to home. The runner slid into the left leg of the catcher as the catcher caught the ball. The home plate umpire called the runner out. My understanding of the obstruction rule is that the catcher here is clearly blocking the runners' path to the plate without the ball and should have been called for obstruction. In NFHS rules, should obstruction have been called here?

Also, if the runner had been closer to the third-base fence and had an angle at the back of the plate would it be the catchers' obstruction with the catcher in the current position of stradling the baseline?

Play At The Plate.jpg

May 6, 2015
probaby a HTBT.

did the runner move away from the line as they came down, or were they well off the line and coming in towards it due to a big seeping turn at 3B?

if the ball is in the mitt a spit second before contact, no obstruction, they have the ball.

one question I have is why is the throw so far up the line, assuming catcher repositioned to catch the throw? or did catcher set up that far up line?

Also, what are those girls doing out of dugout?

Also, what are

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The first thing to understand about obstruction - Obstruction occurs the MOMENT the runner's progress is impeded by a fielder not in possession of the ball.

What might happen in the future is not a consideration.

In the picture, obstruction has not yet occurred...UNLESS (in the judgement of the ump) the runner had to slow, change path, or had her progress otherwise impeded due to the position of the catcher before she had the ball. If the ump judges that the runner would have taken the same path, and slid at the same time, if the catcher was not in that position, there is no obstruction. Once the catcher has possession of the ball, she can be anywhere she wants, including completely blocking the path to the base.

(Note - NCAA rules are different, and this often causes confusion. All other rulesets, including NFHS, are as described above).

EDIT: "Straddling the baseline" was also mentioned in the OP. If the runner has to deviate from her current path because of the presence of a fielder without possession of the ball, it is obstruction, but that path is not defined by the chalk line on the ground.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
Regardless, why leave it up to the umpire?

Instead, do a hook slide and make it more difficult for the catcher to make a tag.

Jul 12, 2020
probaby a HTBT.

did the runner move away from the line as they came down, or were they well off the line and coming in towards it due to a big seeping turn at 3B?

if the ball is in the mitt a spit second before contact, no obstruction, they have the ball.

one question I have is why is the throw so far up the line, assuming catcher repositioned to catch the throw? or did catcher set up that far up line?

Also, what are
What is HTBT?

As I recall, the runner was coming from outside the line after rounding third. catcher setup up in front of the plate and moved to the position shown in the picture to field the throw. The runner was into the slide before the ball arrived and made contact with the catcher just prior to the catcher catching the ball. The tag was applied just after contact was made. Exactly when the catcher actually had possession during her turn towards the runner to make the tag is not visible as the view was blocked by the catcher.

As for players out of the dugout, both teams had players at the dugout entrances the whole game.

Aug 25, 2019
probaby a HTBT.

Also, what are
I believe this is wrong. As @Eric F said, you can't block the base path without the ball, if you do and the runner has to change their path, that's obstruction.

May 10, 2021
Great conversation.

I agree with Eric F that in the photo there is no obstruction yet.........but with the catcher up the line that far I know guys who will call obstruction all the time.

My prediction is the catcher receives the ball and runner makes contact after the ball is in the glove....my judgement no obstruction in this case.

Runner should be coached to veer out and try to hook slide.......then we have the obstruction...IMO.

May 6, 2015
I believe this is wrong. As @Eric F said, you can't block the base path without the ball, if you do and the runner has to change their path, that's obstruction.
yes, I quoted rule wrong, but that is also why I asked if she had veered away from basepath, or was veering towards it after a big turn at 3B. former, yes could be called obstruction, latter, probably not.

brings up an interesting question, how are baserunners supposed to handle a defensive player, with or without the ball, too far away from a base or HP to slide. rules today do not allow simply trucking them, so how does a BR deal with that (say if catcher was two feet further up the line)?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
yes, I quoted rule wrong, but that is also why I asked if she had veered away from basepath, or was veering towards it after a big turn at 3B. former, yes could be called obstruction, latter, probably not.

brings up an interesting question, how are baserunners supposed to handle a defensive player, with or without the ball, too far away from a base or HP to slide. rules today do not allow simply trucking them, so how does a BR deal with that (say if catcher was two feet further up the line)?
If they can't go around, they slide early. The may not make the plate, but that tends to clearly show that obstruction occurred.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles