Catcher hit by back swing...batter awarded 1B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
So, to be clear, the call was wrong in the Georgia game? Hugo should not have been awarded first?

Also surprised that the batter can be penalized for a normal follow through if it interferes with the catcher's ability to make a defensive play. ... Isn't it the catcher's responsibility to position herself where she won't get hit on the batter's typical swing?

The catcher is responsible for not obstructing the batters attempt to strike the ball, it is the batters responsibility to not interfere with the catchers ability to make a defensive play other than those instances in which they are protected by being in the batters box and not actively hindering the catcher. To hit the catcher on the follow through of a swing would require in excess of 400 degrees of rotation, I would not consider that a typical swing or follow through.

Jun 22, 2008
I believe the umpire mistakenly ruled the batter hit the glove on the initial swing and ruled catchers obstruction.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
To hit the catcher on the follow through of a swing would require in excess of 400 degrees of rotation, I would not consider that a typical swing or follow through.

Good point, that a typical swing/followup through wouldn't threaten the catcher, even with hitters who have that sort of follow through.

I notice in the Hugo clip that she swung with an open stance (which she often does, anticipating an inside pitch), and from that position, the backswing does send the bat at the catcher if she's snug to the plate.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Watch the reaction of the catcher.....on the follow through, the bat appears to contact her up around the lower part of her helmet, but she comes out of her crouch and drops her glove and starts shaking her glove hand. You can't tell for sure from the video, but I believe there was contact between the bat and the catcher's glove on the initial swing and that is what was called.

Jun 18, 2010
hugo_ci_zpsklmdlgwh.png

Jun 18, 2010
Does it make any difference if the catcher's outstretched arm extended into the batter's box?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Watch the reaction of the catcher.....on the follow through, the bat appears to contact her up around the lower part of her helmet, but she comes out of her crouch and drops her glove and starts shaking her glove hand. You can't tell for sure from the video, but I believe there was contact between the bat and the catcher's glove on the initial swing and that is what was called.

Contact was def made on flow through, not on the initial swing and she brought her glove hand up to catch the high inside pitch. But it looks like it should be a non call due to foul ball contact prior to the glove contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd