Catcher hit by back swing...batter awarded 1B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Was watching the MN vs. GA game and saw a ruling that had me puzzled. GA hitter (Hugo) at plate, runner on 1st, batter swings through pitch and hits catchers mitt with back swing. No steal or throwing attempt was made. Batter was awarded first base due to catchers interference according to announcers. Did the umpire just get this way wrong, or is there some specific rule that was applied? I thought MN coach would go ballistic, but she was calm about umps explanation which made me think there is some rule I am unaware of. I thought if the batter hits the catcher on back swing (weak interference) and no play is attempted ball was dead, and all runners must return if steal was made. If someone can educate me on this I would appreciate it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Asa 8.1.d.

Batter gets first, runner forced to 2nd.

"When the catcher obstructs a batter's attempt to hit a pitched ball". The scenario in the OP was after the pitch had already been swung on and missed. Bat hit the catcher's mitt on the backswing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it is still obstruction, I think the batter has the right to complete their swing whatever that means. Including their follow thru.

Jun 22, 2008
I think it is still obstruction, I think the batter has the right to complete their swing whatever that means. Including their follow thru.

I am not familiar with all the NCAA rules, but, in all other rule sets the batter is responsible for controlling their swing and if they hit the catcher on the follow through it can be interference. It is not obstruction because the batter already swung at and missed the pitch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Rubbish. What does that have to do with attempting to hit the pitch?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So, to be clear, the call was wrong in the Georgia game? Hugo should not have been awarded first?

Also surprised that the batter can be penalized for a normal follow through if it interferes with the catcher's ability to make a defensive play. ... Isn't it the catcher's responsibility to position herself where she won't get hit on the batter's typical swing?

Jun 22, 2008
Was watching the MN vs. GA game and saw a ruling that had me puzzled. GA hitter (Hugo) at plate, runner on 1st, batter swings through pitch and hits catchers mitt with back swing. No steal or throwing attempt was made. Batter was awarded first base due to catchers interference according to announcers. Did the umpire just get this way wrong, or is there some specific rule that was applied? I thought MN coach would go ballistic, but she was calm about umps explanation which made me think there is some rule I am unaware of. I thought if the batter hits the catcher on back swing (weak interference) and no play is attempted ball was dead, and all runners must return if steal was made. If someone can educate me on this I would appreciate it.

Trying to find play, first game or 2nd game and got an idea of what inning?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish