Cardio workouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I am going to be doing cardio workouts with my team and I have my own ideas for what I want to do but I would like your input also. Workouts will be for one hour. Thanks

Sep 17, 2009
What is your goal with doing cardio? Just curious....

First thought is to focus on agility, footwork and explosive softball movements, using ladders, low hurdles, etc., etc. Keep a glove on their hand and when you can incorporate a catch and/or throw at the end of a movement, do it...

You can also get in a pretty good workout reinforcing running/base mechanics...out of the box, foot fire, base turns, jump on pitch, pick up the pitch, etc. etc. Again, two things at once and sport specific.

Hustle from drill to drill and keep numbers low and stations high to keep heart rate up.

Just a few thoughts....

Dec 7, 2011
I tell ya what though, dealing with a bunch of college coaches recently leading up to DD's first D1 offer here, I believe "physicality" is a HUGE assessment variable on a softball player. I am glad my DD busts her tail on this aspect too!

"Word" to those out there looking to "go big" in a D1 program => better get on your training plans too, along with alll the rest.....

Apr 1, 2010
I tell ya what though, dealing with a bunch of college coaches recently leading up to DD's first D1 offer here, I believe "physicality" is a HUGE assessment variable on a softball player. I am glad my DD busts her tail on this aspect too!

"Word" to those out there looking to "go big" in a D1 program => better get on your training plans too, along with alll the rest.....

DD doesn't much like the twice-weekly strength and agility sessions they've been doing this winter, but to my eyes, she's stronger and faster. I honestly doubt she's on her way to a big D1 program, but I'm betting she'll see some results in plain ol' 12U this spring. :)

Last night the trainer brought out the huge tire. Only half the high school girls could lift it up and flip it over. Some of them didn't even budge it. DD tried and it was looking promising, but then her hands slipped and she dropped it on her foot. (Must NOT laugh! Must stay expressionless!) She and her friend got permission to try again after class. Friend got it lifted, but couldn't make the transition from lifting off the ground to pushing over, but DD managed to flip that thing. She was pretty psyched about accomplishing it. I'm hoping things like this will convince her that training works and is important!

Last edited:

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Definitely incorporate intense but short bursts of a variety of different exercises as opposed to long sessions of running or biking. RichK made some good suggestions. Optimize the workouts so they positively affect strength/speed/agility and specific softball needs rather than just cardio for the sake of cardio. Lots of exercises can be cardio if you do them in quick succession. Here's an example of some conditioning circuits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal