Can a coach tell a kid at a tryout they know she is trying out for other teams and name them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
gen_204

l

I think it is the coach's business. What if the person trying out is simply trying to get in some work before a tryout for another team? How does a coach ascertain that. Also softball is a small world so he may want to know where the player fits on other teams? If on the coaches team the player may be the number one pitcher but on some other team they may be number three. The coach may have other players out competing for the same spot.

Recruiting is recruiting and there's always an attempt to make decisions with the best information possible.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
The way to weed out any new players who are not serious about trying out and playing for a team is to charge a fee for tryouts. Non-refundable if you do not make the team and accept, in which case it goes towards the team fee.

Where a player fits on another team? I'd be more concerned with any needs on my team and look for players who want to play on my team.

Feb 15, 2017
gen_204

l

The way to weed out any new players who are not serious about trying out and playing for a team is to charge a fee for tryouts. Non-refundable if you do not make the team and accept, in which case it goes towards the team fee.

Where a player fits on another team? I'd be more concerned with any needs on my team and look for players who want to play on my team.

Players may not just want to play for one team but weigh options on how they fit with multiple teams. If you have a team and charge a tryout fee good luck with that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Pay to tryout- disagree with that concept.
imo That actually screams pompous in a big way.

Tryouts are for everybody to decide if its a good fit.

If a coach needs to think a player only has one coach in mind to play for... and thats them...
Yikes
That is much different than the player having that mindset/goal.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It's common in my area.
Yep it happens here to.
Nothing seems better for it and generally people leave wondering why they went.

More like a business gimmick
'Pay for this, you'll think its worth more'

Mehhh certainly may weed out people from attending who just want workouts but not all,
$25 bucks aint much compaired to a fielding workout same cost.
👉 probably weeds out otherwise good prospects at the same time...because they dont go!

Feb 15, 2017
Yep it happens here to.
Nothing seems better for it and generally people leave wondering why they went.

More like a business gimmick
'Pay for this, you'll think its worth more'

Mehhh certainly may weed out people from attending who just want workouts but not all,
$25 bucks aint much compaired to a fielding workout same cost.
probably weeds out otherwise good prospects at the same time...because they dont go!
The thing coaches have to remember is there al always other teams and at the A level and not National level there are a finite number of players.

Apr 26, 2019
Pay to tryout- disagree with that concept.
imo That actually screams pompous in a big way.

Tryouts are for everybody to decide if its a good fit.

If a coach needs to think a player only has one coach in mind to play for... and thats them...
Yikes
That is much different than the player having that mindset/goal.
It also means you may miss out on a helluva player who's parents may have to make a decision on whether to spend the $50, $75 or whatever fee on a tryout or food or medication.

Softball at a serious level costs enough. I'm sure some families budget what they can afford and that's that. "Sorry Sally. We need this money for other things. I know it isn't much but your brother deserves a birthday cake this month."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi