Call for Backup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
So I've been trying my hardest to help my DD transition to IR during the past 2 months. Definetly feel overwhelmed at times as I am now. This will be the start of her third year pitching. There's a few things going on related to IR and drive mechanics that aren't quite clicking. The stickies by BM and JS have been very insightful and my go to's. Boomers posts keep us going. Realizing this will be a long journey, where should we start in improving her mechanics.

http://youtu.be/pgV-x4DFIgU

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
orientation.jpg

Here's my unprofessional bucket dad opinion. Others will be along shortly. Remember what you paid for this post! Sometimes you get what you pay for!

Onto my drivel...

Not bad. I like the hips. I don't like the shoulders.

She seems to be fighting herself. And it starts with the backswing. Her free hand goes back timed with her pitching hand, but then comes forward first, in an attempt to open her hips and pitch the ball. It also goes swimming, but I think that's a by product of the timing issue.

What is happening is her hips are opening but her shoulders are closing. (Look at the picture now.) So, maybe you want to look at stopping her free hand at the waist to help the timing issue. Then have her punch the free hand out to the catcher. (Or alternatively, just have her hold the mitt up, facing the catcher to start...like she's taking a throw from the catcher) This should help her timing issue, which will let her blast towards the catcher and keep her shoulders back, in-line with the hips. Let her land, release, and finish open (hips AND shoulders) and not closed to the catcher.

So, since you asked, the very first thing I would change is her backswing (free hand). I think this will lead to better timing and body positioning (open goodness!) along with shoulder and hip alignment.

And I know she can drive harder than that!

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
amanda.jpg

Notice the shoulder/hip orientation to each other and the power line. Also note the free hand. Can't see the video, but it's easier for her to position her body because she stops her free hand at her thigh during the windup. (She then throws her free hand up and then rolls it down)

And if you are thinking, well, sheesh, you show Amanda's hand at 9:00 whereas my daughters is at 11:00, you are correct. For some reason I am having issues stopping your video at 9:00. But a cursory review will show even worse alignment at that point in time...for the record.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2014
NWI
The heavy foot drag in this clip is one of the few instances that it's this pronounced. Usually more on side of big toe. Curious as to what negatives this heavier drag could introduce in the pitching chain.

Up together-down together is something we definitely talk about. I'll be curious to hear other comments related to shoulder alignment and glove hand. Maybe to be to much wasted energy to side.

She just turned 10.

Keep em coming! I'm a sponge.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
At some point you need to get a professional PC
Same advice I received when I first posted my DD at age 11, only it was on hitting. I REFUSE to take or SETTLE for that advice. I educated myself by reading every thread on this site on hitting. If I was you, I would do the same on pitching. The information is all there. Believe me I have learned that there wasn't any 'professional' that knew more then these boards. My DD is 16 yrs old still playing softball and still haven't found a 'professional' that knows half of what I learned on these boards.
Again JMHO.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole