Changing Mechanics - Best Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2012
Southwest PA
If you are going to make any change(HE to IR) forget full motion for now and work from the K position. It will make life more simpler. Have her get in the K position with stride foot at 45, drive foot on her toe and ball palm up. By doing this you are already eliminating 3 things to worry about. Keep practicing by throwing in this position watching for posture. From this position make sure to remind her to lead with her elbow and pinkie and drag her toe going knee to knee. After doing this proficiently, you then get in front of the rubber and have her start with ball in glove around shoulder height. You then step and throw making sure to get foot at 45, palm up and toe dragging.After that you can add a little leap and drag then to full motion. Keep progressing until mechanics break down. This is what i do with my pitchers.

Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for all of the replies! Our all star season is fairly short 2 - 4 more weekends depending on how we do, so I think I will wait until after the season is over before starting the larger changes. We started the switch from HE to IR last year, but there is definitely some ingrained muscle memory to overcome .

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for all of the replies! Our all star season is fairly short 2 - 4 more weekends depending on how we do, so I think I will wait until after the season is over before starting the larger changes. We started the switch from HE to IR last year, but there is definitely some ingrained muscle memory to overcome .

I would think a year of IR should be enough to get it down for the most part. Continue to focus on it and add something mechanically Big after your season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Generally, adjust effort and distance to ensure perfect reps. Focus on posture and whip. Increase distance and effort only as perfect reps are maintained. Use video regularly to confirm--sometimes as effort increases, it's harder to see what's going on. Do not focus on control during form changes. If using a catcher, their job is to fetch, not catch. Close the eyes or use a net as needed. Have a several balls on standby to avoid chasing. Form work can take weeks to make permanent changes and it always takes longer during the season when required to pitch in games. Take video in games to check if the changes are sticking. I ask kids to send me video including at least three game pitches where they are really trying to use the new form. When the season ends and after at least 2-3 weeks off, start back with 100% focus on form--no control. Control is a byproduct of practicing good form.

Sep 29, 2014
While it might be painful and mean less pitching time start now. As a high school freshman if she is traditional HE my guess is against quality teams she will struggle a lot. I would rather she her work really hard so she is ready for TB this spring/summer and also so come Junior and Senior year she is the Ace.

Nov 8, 2018
This piggy backs on the OP. My DD is starting HS ball in August. As a freshman, she will get a lot of mound time. She may even get some starts. She is a HE kid, but we want to transition to IR. She has about 6 weeks or so to practice. What would some of you veterans recommend we do? Wait until off season? Start the IR basics?

Start a new thread to get eyes on your issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Generally, adjust effort and distance to ensure perfect reps. Focus on posture and whip. Increase distance and effort only as perfect reps are maintained. Use video regularly to confirm--sometimes as effort increases, it's harder to see what's going on. Do not focus on control during form changes. If using a catcher, their job is to fetch, not catch. Close the eyes or use a net as needed. Have a several balls on standby to avoid chasing. Form work can take weeks to make permanent changes and it always takes longer during the season when required to pitch in games. Take video in games to check if the changes are sticking. I ask kids to send me video including at least three game pitches where they are really trying to use the new form. When the season ends and after at least 2-3 weeks off, start back with 100% focus on form--no control. Control is a byproduct of practicing good form.

What Ken says ^^^^^^ My DD gets to work with Ken. This is great advice!

"Form work can take weeks to make permanent changes and it always takes longer during the season when required to pitch in games."

This statement is absolutely true IMHO it can be done...but it just takes longer and more focused/concentrated effort by the pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28