"California" Bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Better view of another one doing it.

It is not illegal and there is nothing in the rules about the bat crossing the plate twice. The batter is only allowed one opportunity to hit the ball and when doing this type of bunt the ball is pretty much still in the pitchers hand the first time the bat goes around behind the body. I have seen one girl do it at ASA 18A Western nationals. She did it every at bat and not once did she get on base in the game I umpired.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
One of the strangest things I have ever seen. Stupid question..... If the pitch ends up being high and the batter decides to "check", will it still be called a strike since the bat already passed the plate once? Would the umpire consider that "offering"?

Jan 3, 2014
Better view of another one doing it.

It is not illegal and there is nothing in the rules about the bat crossing the plate twice. The batter is only allowed one opportunity to hit the ball and when doing this type of bunt the ball is pretty much still in the pitchers hand the first time the bat goes around behind the body. I have seen one girl do it at ASA 18A Western nationals. She did it every at bat and not once did she get on base in the game I umpired.

Holy cow. I stand corrected! How in the world is that more effective than a traditional slap or drag bunt? Talk about keeping it simple.....

Jun 22, 2008
One of the strangest things I have ever seen. Stupid question..... If the pitch ends up being high and the batter decides to "check", will it still be called a strike since the bat already passed the plate once? Would the umpire consider that "offering"?

Already answered. The batter is only allowed one opportunity to strike the pitch. The first time the batter takes the bat around and behind the back the ball is still in the pitchers hand. There is no pitched ball yet for the batter to offer at.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Already answered. The batter is only allowed one opportunity to strike the pitch. The first time the batter takes the bat around and behind the back the ball is still in the pitchers hand. There is no pitched ball yet for the batter to offer at.

So... what if she misses the ball w/ 2 strikes? Would you consider it a bunt or swing?

PS IMO the batter's time would be better invested practicing hitting

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
So... what if she misses the ball w/ 2 strikes? Would you consider it a bunt or swing?

THANK YOU, GM, EXACTLY! Now we know the real connection in this thread. The coaches that called the California bunt just had a California blunt :)

Jun 22, 2008

What difference would it make? If a batter offers at a pitch, swinging or bunting and misses it is a strike regardless of if the ball was in the strike zone or not.

And I agree with you, was not effective in the least with a good defense when I saw it. The girl would have been better off working on drag bunting and slapping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1