Bunting Position before hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When the P starts their windup the IF might get sucked in when the batter shows a bunt but that is not what I am seeing from the OP. IF is not moving.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Are we talking college or 10u, 12u, 14u, 16u, or 18u....
So, you are saying when a hitter 'shows' bunt that the corners don't crash......then I stand corrected.
I'm a fan of this:
McCutchen_highside.gif

DD uses this 'open style'.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I absolutely hate that play, I tried to get it made illegal in DD’s league but no one cared.

I am just thinking of college players that do this and they are showing bunt before the P even starts their windup.

Feb 7, 2013
i would say that technique can help young fastpitch hitters with some aspects of technique and timing.

Making the comparison to MLB is like comparing crab apples to apples.

Certainly we can acknowledge some differences:
closer pitching distances
underhand delivery
larger ball

and a more important one would be that bunting is a MUCH larger part of the girls/womens game than boys/men.

Here's the problem I have with laying the bat over home plate and then slowly drawing it back before the pitcher goes into her wind up. Alabama would only do this with two strikes on them. Other teams do it every pitch. Reasons given were 1) you can see the ball better 2) it helps the batter time the pitcher, 3) it freezes the defense, blah blah blah.

If it's such a great technique why not use it every at bat? Why don't professional baseball players use the technique when they have access to the best hitting coaches in the world and their livelihood ($millions) are riding on every at bat, week in and week out. Can't the female batters time the pitcher just like the men without resorting to this technique. Everyone says that the softball swing is the same as baseball swing and yet the women cannot start their swing with the bat in the normal slot behind them (just like the men)?

And I'm not sure what the farther distance in baseball has anything to with it. It's reaction time and they are very close between the two sports from release of the ball to the time it reaches home plate. Remember a 70mph fastptich fastball is equivalent to a 95 mph fastball in baseball in regards to reaction time.

The bigger ball and underhand delivery? Please explain how these two create a need for the batter to lay the bat over home plate?

I'm still waiting for a good, well thought out reason for a player to lay the bat over home plate with two strikes. Anyone?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Here's the problem I have with laying the bat over home plate

Not what I said.

Others here have given examples that show a full bunt position.
But players I've seen are just weight-forward in their open stance, bat 45d to vertical, hands held about as forward as front shoulder.
Sort of in-between a hitting stance and a bunting one.

This is the cat-and-mouse part of it.
The Hitter can pull-back and swing away, or continue forward into a full-on bunting position upon the delivery of the pitch.

If it's such a great technique why not use it every at bat?

The players I've seen use this technique, do use it on every pitch.
And at least at the 12U and 14U levels, it does make the defense react in much the same way as if there was a lefty-slapper at the plate.

Can't the female batters time the pitcher just like the men without resorting to this technique. Everyone says that the softball swing is the same as baseball swing and yet the women cannot start their swing with the bat in the normal slot behind them (just like the men)?

If this works for certain players, what is so inherently wrong with that?

And I'm not sure what the farther distance in baseball has anything to with it. It's reaction time and they are very close between the two sports from release of the ball to the time it reaches home plate. Remember a 70mph fastpitch fastball is equivalent to a 95 mph fastball in baseball in regards to reaction time.

You're trying to make a case for the perceptual similarities, but the differences are glaringly obvious.
underhand delivery, closer distance.
How can one argue that?

Now, whether you think those differences make a "difference" - that is your opinion that you are certainly entitled to.

need for the batter to lay the bat over home plate?

again - not what I said.

I'm still waiting for a good, well thought out reason for a player to lay the bat over home plate with two strikes. Anyone?

A fair question, but you've morphed the intent into something very specific that you certainly have an issue with.
My advice? If you don't like it, well then nobody is making your DD or your players (if your coach) use this technique.

Mar 21, 2013
I actually read some articles and heard some interviews regarding this. They said they actually did it to improve their vision and see the ball better. It was stated that it helps get the eyes on a level and good visual plane using the bat as a reference to see the ball better. They said the key is when you take the bat back try not to move or turn the head back too much. It was stated that many girls have their heads and eyes in a position (nose pointing between 1st and 2nd base for a righty) where they are actually looking more out of the corners of the eyes, which is not the optimum position for the best vision.

Feb 7, 2013
I actually read some articles and heard some interviews regarding this. They said they actually did it to improve their vision and see the ball better. It was stated that it helps get the eyes on a level and good visual plane using the bat as a reference to see the ball better. They said the key is when you take the bat back try not to move or turn the head back too much. It was stated that many girls have their heads and eyes in a position (nose pointing between 1st and 2nd base for a righty) where they are actually looking more out of the corners of the eyes, which is not the optimum position for the best vision.

Interesting...I wonder why some teams like Alabama only do this when they have two strikes on them. Do they not need to see the ball better when the count is say 2-1?

Why hasn't MLB adopted this technique. I'm sure they would welcome any technique that allows them to see the pitched ball better.

My guy feeling is this is more stylistic than anything and a fad dreamed up by a few hitting coaches in an attempt to find the "holy grail" of hitting and be different.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach